Pages

Sunday, April 26, 2015

An anniversary and a birthday

Playing catch up again -- here are a couple of activities the mister and I did over the past few months. In January, for our 13th anniversary, we finally went on a San Diego brewery tour.


San Diego has become the hub of many California-based breweries. Most of our favorite beers are made in this area (in the San Marcos area, off of Highway 78). There are several well-known breweries, such as Stone Brewing, Ballast Point, and Lost Abbey, and many other ones that may not be as well known outside of California.

The kids had been back-to-back sick that month, and BT's office got broken into, so we definitely needed a break. We went to Belching Beaver, Lost Abbey, Port Brewing, and Stone for dinner. It was wonderful!

The next month, February, was my birthday - the big 4-0! It was my choice to go on a Vegas trip as opposed to having a party with friends. The trip was super nice, as my parents watched the kids for a whole weekend, and we didn't have to come home by a certain time on the day we returned! We have never had such a luxurious vacation since we became parents. I still think back on the trip when things start getting hairy around here. Since it was my trip, I got to pick out where we ate and what we did. We stayed at the Golden Nugget -- still my favorite hotel. Leaving the room, I snapped a pic of my "Going out at 40" outfit. So different from my "Going out at 21" outfit I'm sure I wore the first time going to Vegas as an adult!


The first night we ate at Park, which we later saw featured on Man Finds Food.

Garbage fries!
We then checked out a new shopping/hang out area off Fremont called Downtown Container Park -- it was pretty cool. Love going places where it seems every store and restaurant was designed just for me :) We hit a couple of downtown brew pubs, and then I left BT at a craps table while I went back and slept the soundest that I have probably have slept in years.


The next morning, after sleeping in, we ate at Hash House a Go-Go -- homestyle cooking with an upscale twist and ridiculous portions to boot. We also hit up Frankie's Tiki Room - a Vegas tiki bar. Unfortunately we had the most obnoxious dude at the table next to us -- super loud, nasally voice, who droned on and on to two chicks about the most mundane stuff. You, sir, suck, and you life is lame!! We ate that evening at one of those steakhouses that has a cool history, but is a little past its heyday.


That night was the highlight of the trip -- the Neon Museum!! The museum pays homage to the cool neon signs that have adorned the Las Vegas strip for so many years. So well put together, and such a cool way to learn about the history of this one-of-a-kind city. I left BT once again at a craps table, and I guess he was the hot roller of the night. I deemed him the King of Craps.


One more must-see stop on the way out of town Monday afternoon -- The Peppermill. I don't know why I love this place as much as I do, but would be seriously bummed if they ever renovate it or tear it down. We had a keepsake picture taken there -- until next time, Peppermill.

Wrapping up with my birthday -- here is a pic of the little party my co-workers put together. Do they know me or what?


And I put together my own home birthday party the day of my birthday.


Hank picked out the cake and one of those flaming flower candles to go on top.

On to mammograms and all the other fun stuff 40-year-olds do!

No comments: