Pages

Saturday, December 07, 2013

It's another themed tree, Charlie Brown

I know, I know.

How many times have I said I'm not going to do themed Christmas trees any more, and then I turn around and do one?


In this case, it was justified as we needed to do a smaller tree to keep out of reach of a toddling 1-year-old. Remember Hank was the same age, 13 months, for his second Christmas, so we did a small tabletop tree that year as well. I could have just used half of our regular ornaments, but it seemed like a good excuse to do a small scale themed tree.


I used the "after" tree from A Charlie Brown Christmas as inspiration. As you likely recall from the movie, Charlie Brown wants a real tree, but can only find a rather scrawny one. The other kids are disappointed until they realize they hurt Charlie Brown's feelings and have lost sight of the true meaning of Christmas. They take decorations from Snoopy's dog house to spruce up the tree. The decorations I could decipher from the image above include some round ornaments, large lights, a paper chain, popcorn garland, and a red star.


I made the paper garland and popcorn garland, and also made some Peanuts character ornaments using this tutorial. The ornaments are so cute, as they include both the faces and the characters' signature shirts/dresses.


In addition to the characters from the tutorial (Charlie Brown, Linus, Lucy and Snoopy), I also added in Charlie's little sister Sally. The W ornament looked like a Peanuts font to me.


I purchased three rolls of Peanuts themed wrapping paper last year on clearance (see -- this themed tree thing really is a sickness). In addition, I also planned to modify gift bags to look again like the outfits that the characters wear.


I used black scrapbook paper to make the black lines on the bags. I added a scrap of blue fleece to the Linus bag :)


Speaking of Linus's blanket, I used a blue blanket to wrap around the base of the tree as Linus did in the movie. Snoopy and Charlie Brown are from the time we had season passes to Knott's.


And just in case you were wondering, the large box is a carseat for Everett (fulfilling the something he needed). The carseat is already in use, but I still wrapped the box just because. Although Hank saw the box come in, I see him touching it from time to time perhaps wondering if I am lying and it really is a giant present for him after all.

Just themed wrapping paper next year -- I pinky swear.

1 comment:

Coleen said...

Love it! I don't know if I believe you, though... I think you've made some pretty awesome themed trees and I see no reason to stop! :)