Pages

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thanksgiving

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! It is definitely a favorite around here. It was nice to be back in the kitchen with my mom after a few years' worth of eating out or heat and serve meals. We had a couple of awesome successes (the turkey was squirting juice as we cut it, the mashed potatoes were not "pure" per the request of BT, but pretty yummy with the addition of bacon and chives, and omg if you want the best sweet potatoes ever, try these!!!)


A couple other recipes needed some proofing ahead of time. Paula's stuffing tasted amazing the second day. Did it need to cool off some before we ate it? I know I should have fluffed it with a fork first versus serving casserole style. Pioneer Woman's cranberry sauce had good flavor, but was watery -- should I have just cooked it longer, or was it the recipe? I made a recipe for green bean casserole which had you make your own crispy onions and mushroom sauce. It was almost there, but not quite. I want to try these recipes again next year to see if I have better success.


As for decor, the main element was a yarn wrapped branch hung over the table. It was a bigger branch than I thought, but fortunately was easy to remove during the time we were eating. I made paper leaves for us to write what we are thankful about. I was thankful for getting back to cooking Thanksgiving dinner with my mom. I assumed Everett was thankful for getting up and walking so he is not crawling on the dirty floor all the time. We used some artwork made by Hank and Everett on the walls


and Hank and I also put together the little foam kits from Joann.


I used the same plates used for the 2009 dinner (coincidentally used a branch then as well).


A new element to the Thanksgiving feast will hopefully become a regular feature. I set out dishes containing 4 of the items from the Peanuts Thanksgiving, including pretzels, popcorn, jelly beans, and toast (Melba). The toast came in a pretty cool package


but hoping I can find smaller pieces shaped like toast in future years.

A couple more Thanksgiving treats. We put together a candy dish for Hank's kindergarten teacher. It was admittedly a way to get rid of the dish to get more room in my Thanksgiving bin. I used this printable for a card.


In asking Hank who else he would like to give a card to, he responded Hannah, who is his little girlfriend from school. This is the second time he has asked to give her something, and she gives him little notes from time to time as well. So sweet!


I made a special lunch for Hank including a sandwich made into a turkey, and candy corn "turkey toes." Hank likes deciphering pictograms.

My final show nod to Thanksgiving this week was to thank people who serve us in some way -- staff at the grocery store, the school Hank and Everett both attended, our local firefighters and sanitation crew -- and then a few other folks, such as the staff behind etsy (have you ever had a bad transaction there? No, of course not. So appreciative of the creators and users of the site), the pastor at our church, and our current and prior President. Some people you gotta thank for getting up and getting dressed in the morning.

This time last year I was nearly ready for Christmas. Having a mini panic attack in realizing there are only 25 days until the big day and how little I have planned let alone done!

2 comments:

Bevy said...

Melba toast is sold at my grocery in the specialty cracker area. I love Ruck but it is a different product. Rusk is great with cheese melted on the top.
LOVE your fun projects. Thanks for sharing.
http://www.oldlondonfoods.com/bg_products_cat/melba-toast/

Bevy said...

Melba toast is sold at my grocery in the specialty cracker area. I love Ruck but it is a different product. Rusk is great with cheese melted on the top.
LOVE your fun projects. Thanks for sharing.
http://www.oldlondonfoods.com/bg_products_cat/melba-toast/