Pages

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Snakes, Snails, and Puppy Dog Tails

As mentioned, one of my work pals is having her second baby. We threw her a little shower at work this past week.


My other work party planning partner in crime suggested snakes as a theme, as Lena is part Chinese, and this is the year of the snake according to the lunar calendar. I had a suggestion in mind based on unused baby items I wanted to unload (more on that in a bit), but don't always want to be the one to set the theme for our work events But snakes? How do you make snakes cute?


Well, hoping this guy answers that question. I was so darn proud of my diaper snake cake! I made a point to tell anybody who cared that I didn't get the idea from Pinterest -- nope, this one was all me. I took 4 receiving blankets and laid them out on top of each other. I then put two lines of diapers down the length of the blankets and folded the blankets together down the middle. I used double-stick tape where the blankets connected. The blanket encased diapers were rolled up, and I added the eyes and ribbon tongue for the head and a decorative rattle to the tail.


The theme was rounded out by using a variation of the What are little boys made of nursery rhyme. I believe the original version has the response to that question of Snips and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails. Not sure if it a modern version of the rhyme or just a mistake that has been adopted over time, but some folks say Snakes and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails. So in addition to snakes, we also had snails


(these were a Pinterest find -- made with baby washcloths)


(flannel rag blanket purchased from this etsy seller)

and a puppy dog


I was a Citrus Lane subscriber for 5 months or so. My box of baby gifts was already full, but I now have a staggering collection of nice products to unload on mamas to be. I loved getting the boxes so much, but I am not one for having multiples of certain items in use at the same time. There are only so many stroller toys one needs (that's one for us)! In any case, this little Eric Carle (Hungry Little Caterpillar) themed gift was created with some Episcencial products received through the Citrus Lane boxes, a 7th Generation diaper rash cream and caterpillar chew toy both purchased on clearance at Target, and a board book purchased with store credit at a discount store.


The food was from our office's new favorite take out place, L & L Hawaiian BBQ ( I hosted a luau last month as a thank you for everybody's hard work. We do work -- I swear). But there were some theme appropriate food items such as a ladybug cake


and dirt and worms pudding


The table centerpieces were Mason jars filled with white flowers on top of little grass pads (found at the dollar store). The day before the shower, I had made the trek to the Japanese dollar store and found these great pinwheels. There was also an assortment of plastic snakes, snails, puppies, spiders, worms and other backyard critters provided by office staff to add to the table decor.


Finally, for favors, I bought these little grow kits from the Target dollar section


Wishing the mama-to-be the best as she ventures into the world of "two under two!"

2 comments:

Heidi@TheMerryMagpieVintage said...

I'm pretty much IN LOVE with those snails! My go-to has always been coiling the washcloths and wrapping them up in cellophane to look like wrapped candies. I think I may need to switch to snails, because those are ADORABLE! Love the snake cake, too! A rattle for the tail--clever. :D

Anonymous said...

Awesome diaper snake! You are so thoughtful. Your coworkers are lucky-not many people get so much love put into their work environments.
-April