Would I have hosted a Sip and See (sip some wine, see the baby) for Everett if I didn't have a blog? Erm - probably not. But, I do have a blog, one that is horribly neglected, so I sent out the invites for a group get together disguised as a Sip and See for blog purposes and hoped for the best.
|I wrapped one fork with washi tape, and Hank said he wanted to do the rest -- and he did!|
|I would never serve soda to kids -- unless the can colors matched my theme (sorry parents!)|
Another inspiring image was this sample favor from Jelly Belly (made in Fairfield, CA, btw). This set up the color theme - coincidentally the same colors in our house - and reinforced the heart theme. I used square containers for berry blue and tangerine (not shown -- forgot to take picture the day of, and only blue was left the next) jelly beans. BT's cousin designed and cut the vinyl for us -- they were perfect!
Coming up with the menu was so much fun! I'm sure this could be replicated for any state, but California was particularly easy. Here is what we had with the CA origin in parentheses:
- California Pizza Kitchen pizzas (Beverly Hills)
- Taquitos (contested origin -- Los Angeles or San Diego. Both of these Mexican food locations are awesomesauce, for the record)
- California Rolls (Los Angeles)
- Guacamole featuring California avocados (San Diego County)
- Citrus salad featuring California Cuties (Central Valley)
- Strawberries (Ventura County)
- O Olive Oil Champagne Vinegar (Petaluma)
- Goat Cheese Log with Dried Cranberries featuring CA Pistachios (Central Valley)
- La Brea Bakery sourdough bread (Los Angeles. Also for the record, I missed an opportunity years ago to be introduced to Nancy Silverton by somebody who thought I was a good baker. I am lame.)
- Blue Diamond Smoked Almonds (Sacramento)
- Brownies made with Ghiradelli Chocolate (San Francisco). Hank also requested s'mores, which worked out perfect to keep people out of the house longer. Also used Ghiradelli chocolate for those.
- southern California beer selection (Stone Brewing Co., Port Brewing, Bootleggers Brewery, etc.)
We also came up with a kickass playlist with at least 40 songs that mention California by name or a city in the Golden State.
For decor, I just made the sign above for the front door, some hearts to hang from the dining room light fixture, and the little food signs with the place of origin indicated.
We also used Mason jars for sipping to celebrate little Everett Mason :)
Unfortunately the guest of honor was a little fussy that day, which is unusual for him. I ended up nursing him a lot, and therefore didn't get to spend as much time with guests or take too many pictures. I did get this gem -- all of the kids 2 and up watching Cars 2, furtively eating their jelly beans.
Love all these California kids so much :)
Least and Most recent favorites: One of our favorite tiki restaurants is closing down. Boo. The only bright side was that I finally got to meet Barb who made a trip up to see the place before it closed. We fell into talking like old friends, which we were, despite never having met in person.
Working on: Sorta feel back on track -- maybe I'll tackle a couple of sewing projects next week.