Pages

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Poor me...?

There is a lot going on at work right now. For those of you keeping track, you may recall that I officially don't go back to work until May. But, I have been working just enough from home and a monthly trip into the office, Everett in tow, to get caught up in the thick of some pretty heavy stuff.


 AS a result, I spent a few days in poor me mode --  not cleaning the house, eating out every meal, and also eating copious amounts of chocolate. I knew I needed to get my head out of arse and realize how blessed I truly am. I have a great job, a house worth more than we owe, two healthy boys, dozens of friends and family members in my support network, and my sweet  husband, who is always good at sensing when my thoughts are swirling out of control.


I need only look within a mile radius of our house to see people who are struggling in a way I hopefully never will know. I decided to put together some little care packages for a few of the local homeless individuals near where we live. I made a quick trip to the dollar store to put together three bags. One is for a woman -- I realize now I forgot to get her sunscreen, which is something I thought she needed seeing her on her chosen corner over the past year or so. Hygiene related items include a new shirt, socks, a towel, wipes, hand sanitizer, deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste, shampoo, chapstick, tissues, and socks. The food items include a chicken salad and crackers kit, pretzels, applesauce, juice box, granola bars, gum, and a couple of Easter items.

The recipients were so appreciative. As I handed the bags out, I got to talk to the kid about their situation, which hopefully leads to an understanding about perspective instead of getting frustrated playing with some silly cheap-o toy that isn't doing what he wants it to do. My troubles no longer seemed so monumental, and my empathy towards those outside my little nucleus increased.

You know what they say -- don't sweat the small stuff. If silly day to day issues bring you to tears or anger, promise me you'll talk to someone, -k?

*********

Favorite of the day: Cute Avengers themed party

Working on: Easter basket

3 comments:

telfair said...

Awesome. I really needed to hear this reminder. Thanks for sharing it. Happy Easter. xoxo

Sheri - Creative Spaces of S. Fla. said...

WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!! Thank you for inspiring me to do the same here. I have always wanted to do something along those lines but just didn't know how or what. Thanks for being so awesome! Wishing you a wonderful week!

Best wishes,
Sheri
www.pompanobeachgardening.blogspot.com
www.createdecorateandinnovate.blogspot.com

Kristen said...

What a sweet thing to do. Thanks for sharing.