Pages

Sunday, December 09, 2012

Checking my list: Subway art

This was another project involving BT, and one filled with disagreements, mistakes, and multiple containers of smelly aerosol sprays.


You have most likely seen Cheri's DIY subway art tutorial. As with the root beer, this was a project I was inexplicably drawn towards, and couldn't shake the desire to make them as Christmas gifts for BT's siblings. All three families live in Arizona, and all three have large houses with lots of wall space. Two families already have similarly styled artwork with meaningful quotes, etc., and I think the third family would like this style (traditional with a modern twist) as well.

BT, on the other hand, thinks this is way too big of a present to foist onto somebody. He thinks the quote will be offensive to the Mormon crew -- too in your face, he says (despite the fact that an LDS woman designed the very same file and tutorial I used to make it). And, we had a bitch of a time putting them together. First, I forgot to tell BT that the small white border left after printing would not be part of the artwork. He designed frames exactly as big as the piece of paper -- including the white border. I convinced him not to remake the frames, but we both hate the sticky border around the black printout. We did not take Cheri's advice re glue, and ended up having the paper completely fall off of the frames the first go around. Sure enough -- Elmer's saved the day! Part of the delay in getting these done was waiting for BT to do all the spraying when I was pregnant. Baby free, I was out there today changing the atmosphere with glue and matte sealer fumes. Adding to the frustration -- BT's carefully crafted frames got warped some how -- still not sure sure how or why that happened. Perhaps because of the warping or my ineptitude, there is a lot of wrinkles and folds in the paper when I laid it down. Does that make it look more authentic? We shall see what the family's reaction is when we give these out on Christmas Eve...

But they are DONE -- that's all that matters to me!

**********

Favorite of the day: If there is any way to keep this from becoming a giant cat box, I am advocating for a backyard beach!

Working on: Christmas cards

2 comments:

telfair said...

I think they turned out beautifully. Love the quote so much!

Heidi@TheMerryMagpieVintage said...

Well, this Mormon LOVES that quote and that artwork and would be thrilled to get this as a gift!

(PS I would be totally confused by any Mormon who was offended by it--Mother Teresa was a holy woman and a servant of God and her message is completely in line with what we are taught at church IMO)