Pages

Thursday, November 01, 2012

Happy Halloween!

Hank was Bilbo Baggins this year


He indeed does know who Bilbo is, as he and dad read The Hobbit together start to finish. As always, I was wary to get too invested in a costume idea, as I thought the kid would go with one of his more standard likes (Spiderman, Power Ranger, etc.) Nope -- he was committed to Bilbo.


I nailed the hobbit feet on the second try -- making them into shoe covers that would allow him to still wear his shoes and the bottoms wouldn't get worn out as they would if they were slippers or something. I now have a story like my mother-in-law tells about fashioning Yoda feet for BT way back when.


As for the rest of the costume, I removed the collar from a thrifted white dress shirt so it had a Mandarin collar. I also found a little girl's velvet dress at the thrift store, and modified it to be a vest. The pants were purchased, and I made the cloak using this tutorial.

He seemed pretty proud when people recognized what he was (a hobbit), and dad was pretty proud when people asked him which hobbit he was, and the kid gave the appropriate response.

**********

Favorite of the day: Just what I need to support my tube hoarding addiction.

Working on: Mustard?

2 comments:

Heidi@TheMerryMagpieVintage said...

The feet are amazing! They look like they were really tricky to sew.

Jenn said...

Eep! What a fabulous costume! Love it! And those feet are fantastic!

Also in love with the Chewie and Yoda costumes!