Pages

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

The Facebook Project: Kayla

You know all those silly Facebook memes -- post your bra color to keep the guys guessing, re-post a status update if you don't want to look like the schmuck who supports dog abuse, etc. Well, I generally stay away from those kinds of things, but replied to an offer I couldn't resist on the page of a woman we refer to as Auntie P. I was one of five people who responded to her request to have something hand made for them, and in turn promised to make something for the first five people who responded to the same post on my own Facebook page. You were given the whole year to make the items for your five lucky recipients (I ended up with 6). Here is gift #5


Name: Kayla

Number of years known: 6


How I know her: Kayla is one of Evie's good friends. Both lovely ladies moved to Long Beach some time ago, and we have been meeting up for parties and Ladies Who Lunch events ever since.

Have you heard about Kayla before on The Felt Mouse?: Noo -- which makes me sad...

The project: This was my favorite of the Facebook projects, even though it had a slow start. You see -- Kayla is one of those wonderful people who is so thoughtful and kind that she will have a conversation with you and, and hour later, you realize you've done nothing but talk about yourself. She doesn't use what you say as an invitation to talk about herself, but rather keeps asking you questions while showing genuine interest in what you have to say. So, despite seeing her relatively frequently, I couldn't really pinpoint a gift that would fit with her interests.



Then, Kayla posted a picture of herself on Facebook wearing large earrings. I recalled noticing her earrings before, and had an a-ha moment. I have been collecting bits and bobs for some time to make earrings. Some parts were purchased from Pick Your Plum, and others were purchased from an online store years ago. I only had a to purchase a few findings to complete five -- yes five -- pairs of earrings! The studs were from my junk box.


*Of course* I needed a way to display my homemade earrings, so a quick search on Pinterest revealed this. I have a selection of colored burlap on hand (remember?), and an aqua piece fit in an extra embroidery hoop perfectly. It was adorned felt flowers and wood cut-outs I bought on a whim from Michaels a couple of years ago and have been looking for a project to use them on ever since.

Thank you for being a great friend, Kayla, and I'm going to be a better listener from now on!

**********

Favorite of the day: My new favorite blog -- 4 belts purchased after just a few weeks of reading!

Working on: Christmas stuff -- no joke!

2 comments:

sweet little sister said...

And just HOW LONG DID IT TAKE ME TO FIND THIS POST?! For shame! I love that I made it onto your Facebook project. I love my specially chosen homemade gift!!! So fun to see how you prepared it :) Your projects are always thoughtful & clever & unique. Bless you for your tireless efforts!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! I am excited to come see you & meet your new addition! xoxoxoxo

sweet little sister said...

I love my earrings <3