Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Party prep: Favors for school

Before Christmas, there are a slew of other events to prepare for, like Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Hank's birthday. Hank had a specific and unique idea for a party theme, and I have been dedicating a week or so to get ready for that. We also usually make favors for the little party they have for birthday kids at school. The favors below are more mama's idea, but the kid didn't have any complaints (especially re the candy).


I have been wanting to do a toilet paper themed craft for the kids at school. I hope the parents don't get skeeved out at the idea. Toilet paper, like laundry, is one of those things I don't understand about our family of three. We go through A LOT of toilet paper. I think it has something to do with the type of paper we buy -- namely the recycled content brands sold at Target. I don't think they have as much per roll. Or we just go a lot -- who knows.


I saved up rolls last year and ended up with a small garbage bag full. I couldn't think of what to do with them, so I gave them to a local kid focused arts and craft store. Last month, after buying some wood grain wrapping paper, I had a good idea for a toilet paper craft, started saving rolls again, and the school favor idea was born. In the tube are a small pack of crayons (6 for $1 at 99 Cents Only) that fit perfectly. I also found some owl stamps online. What better candy to go with owls than Tootsie Roll Pops? Finally, I printed out 4 alphabet coloring sheets spelling H-A-N-K from this site.

The rolls were then wrapped in the wood grain paper and ties of with baker's string (a little thicker than twine) both purchased at Target, if you recall. I finished them off with a little sticker with an owl on it. This was the only element of the favors that didn't go smooth as butter. As I was applying the sticker to roll number 17, I decided to ask BT to proofread. He noticed that I had asked whose "bithday" it was. An hour more of printing, cutting, and cursing, I was back to being satisfied with our little owl - woodland favors.

**********

Favorite of the day: A pin to hold onto for future parties

Working on: Party prep -- and laundry (of course)

No comments: