Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Circles

This quilt practically put itself together!


First, you will recall the wedding reception I helped with back in 2010. One component was having a wall full of fabric filled embroidery hoops.


I saved the fabric from the hoops with the intent of making a quilt for the couple. I pictured something that would use the fabric in its circle form. Shortly thereafter, this tutorial was posted by Purl Bee. It was exactly what I wanted to do with the circles, but didn't have the know how to accomplish.

 

It took some time to make, but it was nice that this was primarily a hand sewing project -- perfect for vegging out in front of the TV. I bought the bias tape on etsy, as thinking about doing this delayed my start on this project. As soon as I bought it, I was good to go. Do you know there is a theory about people who create -- that just by thinking through the plan and assembling the materials, their brain thinks they are done with the project? It would therefore take a lot of willpower to actually sit down and tangibly finish something, because your brain has already moved on to the next endeavor.

 

This theory makes a great excuse for all those unfinished crafts I have sitting around in bags...

 

The back incorporates a few different fabrics than those used at the reception for a bit of whimsy. The lower right corner is a fun Heather Ross print, since this is for the sister-in-law who wants a VW themed baby shower.

I wanted to include info about the origins of the circles on the quilt, but took advice from BT not to mount printed inkjet fabric on the back. So, I took a cue from Shanna and made a fabric tag as she did as part of her welcome gift to Hank.

 

Many projects I just want to get done, and move on to something else. This was something I really enjoyed making, and actually kind of miss already having it sitting on my lap appliqueing the circles, taking careful stitches around the edges of the circles, and then attaching the binding on the back. I hope mama and baby enjoy it just as much.

**********

Favorite of the day: Quite possibly the world's best birthday present

Working on: Shower prep

4 comments:

Heidi@TheMerryMagpieVintage said...

I love this! I love how the circle design mimics the fabric hoops on the wall. What a fun memory for the couple!

PS--that theory about creative people? Explains SO much about me and my project ADD...

Patty Biermans said...

That is a lovely memoryquilt!! hugzz...peebee

Cristina said...

What a thoughtful and personal gift! Too sweet.

Heather Woollove said...

What an awesome quilt! You did a beautiful job and should feel so satisfied and happy!! XXO-