Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Something to...

For the past couple years, we have been following the adage of giving 4 Christmas gifts to Hank: something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read



This seems to work well for minimizing the "stuff" overload associated with Christmas. In addition, I have been making Hank a hat every year, and in theory there should be a mama made item every year (though that could be one of the aforementioned items). Annnnd, this year we are adding in one gift from Santa. So, the kid could get up to 7 gifts, which may seem excessive to some, but is less than the Christmas either BT (one of 5 kids) or me (an only child) had growing up, so we feel it is conservative.



I made reusable gift tags to represent the different types of gifts. I'm not sure if these will always be useful, as I would suppose as Hank grows older the only gift he would care about is the "something you want." Also, I have made an executive decision that if I can't have a theme tree every year, I will at least have themed gift wrap. The tags go with this year's gifts, but may not always match my paper choice.

But, they work for now. I have a couple more gifts to finish up today, and then moving on to stocking production for the rest of the week.

**********

Favorite of the day: {yawn}

Working on: A book bag and a rice-filled heating pad

4 comments:

Love Of The Hunt said...

Love this idea and it makes more sense than buying a bunch of stuff just so there is stuff to open.

Gonna have to use this with my nephews next year

Anonymous said...

You are truly gifted and I may just have to adobt this great idea!

Jenn

JenJen Lenzini said...

I LOVE this idea, anda great way to keep xmas costs down.

Anonymous said...

As a mom of 5 kids - Christmas is crazy!! We love to delight our kids - but as they get older, it gets more expensive and I often feel like we just spent too much. This is a great guideline.