Pages

Sunday, June 05, 2011

A beautiful wedding

The pastor of our church is a woman about my age. I can imagine dating for a woman in this profession would be very difficult. Many men would be intimidated by a woman with theological training, and/or have some lingering issues with their religious upbringing, their faith, etc. Fortunately she found a man who fit the bill, and they were married at our church this past weekend.


BT and I have been married nearly 10 years, but I still read a number of wedding blogs. I don't have any plans for reliving the big day, but do find many good ideas for regular parties or weddings that I help out with.



Admittedly, I become wrapped up in the beauty and pageantry of weddings, and don't necessarily take the time to reflect on the substance of the ceremony itself. This wedding put all that in perspective. You can only imagine that a pastor would know the perfect Bible passages to have read, the perfect hymns for the full (!) church choir and the audience to sing, plus they had communion for all in attendance.


(I thought this piece of fabric was huge when I started. Not enough, though, to make the waistband or the ties the right length. I had a long skinny scrap of the pink accent color that I used to supplement the main fabric, and now can't imagine this apron without it!)

I was flying solo at this event, since BT was home with a sick kid, but I was all misty eyed reflecting on how beautiful it is to find somebody in this great big world and make a commitment to go through this crazy life with them and them alone.


A special gift was in order. I consulted my handy dandy gift box, and found a set of rubber spatulas that I bought at Target on clearance after Valentine's Day to set the theme of the gift. In my fabric stash was a large piece of Heather Bailey fabric that I bought at a local reuse shop. I made an apron that showed off this large print and a pair of oven mitts.


Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday. Mawage, that bwessed awangement, that dweam wifin a dweam...


**********


Favorite of the day: Still lookin'


Working on: Another apron (they always seem to come in twos, don't they?)

2 comments:

leslie said...

how neat! (the wedding and the gift!)

sweet little sister said...

What a gorgeous and thoughtful gift. I'm sure she looks darling in the apron and matching oven mitts! Awesome idea. I know what you mean about reflecting on marriage like this. With Mike taping events like this for years, I think he became a little more robotic about these grand affairs, while they'd make me misty eyed like you. This is why I make a bad video person! I get caught up in the emotion of the moment and don't focus on the video capturing. Congrats to your friend. You're absolutely right, it is a very special thing to find that someone <3