Pages

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

A working woman's guide to celebrating a literary hero

Other than posting a link to some cool ideas for Dr. Seuss themed food, I hadn't done any type of preparation to celebrate Read Across America day today, aka Dr. Seuss's birthday. This month in particular, I am trying to get things done without excuses (or less than usual, at least). If I was going to celebrate Dr. Seuss, it was going to happen, by gum!

I have a full time job outside of the house, and a typical day also includes an extra hour+ dropping off and picking up Hank, plus an hour or two online work at night, plus trying to make dinner, keep the house clean, and play with the kid every once in awhile. Particularly with the passing our manager at our office, there is not much free time during the day. But, when there's a will, there's a way ~

6:00 a.m. wake up and go to the gym (this is a new development for me - will keep you posted). On the way back get gas, a few groceries (namely stuff for breakfast), and coffee for me and BT.

7:15 a.m. make green eggs and ham and Cat in the Hat yogurt & strawberry parfaits for breakfast.


8:00 a.m. dress kid in Dr. Seuss themed shirt


(this was a pic from another day wearing said shirt - sometimes the working woman has to cut her losses and move on)

8:30 a.m. - 4:55 p.m. dead time. Today was even a working lunch, so no time to do any additional shopping, preparations, etc.

4:55 p.m. scribble out some signs to insert in cupcakes I hoped I could find, and signs to make these before I headed out the door. I figured I could make the Horton Hears a Who craft in 5 minutes, so still could probably fit it in. Maybe.

5:10 p.m. Fresh & Easy for dinner (roast beast - pre-made, as I had a meet up tonight. Have I mentioned here how much I love F&E dinners?) and colored Goldfish crackers (red fish, blue fish). No red velvet cupcakes, no bagged cotton candy to be had (required materials for these).

5:25 p.m. Head to Food 4 Less (near Fresh & Easy - guaranteed to have totally devoid of nutrition cotton candy - and they do!) but no red velvet cupcakes.

5:35 p.m. Walk to Starbucks in same parking lot and acquire their last two red velvet cupcakes - score!

5:40 p.m. head home, throw dinner in the microwave, assemble Thing 1 & Thing 2 cupcakes, and decorate table with Dr. Seuss books and the hastily thrown together Horton Hears a Who craft.


5:50 p.m. take pics of dinner (Goldfish crackers are now colored with natural ingredients, so instead of red and blue fish they are more like purple and green fish)


6:15 p.m. take pic of kid with his cupcake (where did the Dr. Seuss shirt go? Oh never mind)


6:16 p.m. Kid wants a candle on his cupcake. Oy.

6:30 p.m. I have to go, but presumably BT and Hank read a book from this collection.


And on the drive to my friend's house, this tired mama remembers all the Dr. Seuss stories she enjoyed growing up, many of them now part of the collection shown above.

Even with no planning and a busy day, sometimes, just sometimes, the stars align and one can throw an impromptu party for one of her family's favorite authors. And I even found a birthday candle :)

**********

Favorite of the day: Would love to do this with pics at my grandparents' houses

Working on: Memory box

No comments: