Pages

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Wish wreath

Another project for the Italian themed baby shower, a wish wreath!

Initially I wanted to do the traditional wish tree, like this, using a manzanita branch. But, I remembered that I would eventually need to get this to Arizona. It seemed like it would be a lot of money to ship a branch to me, fancy it up, and then send it to AZ.


One day at the craft store, I noticed the grapevine wreaths (grapevine - Italian - get it?) I thought there would be some way to use the wreath to allow guests to write their best wishes for mom and baby. Then, I saw this project which I linked to previously, and it sealed the deal - I would be making a wreath instead of a tree.


To prepare the wreath, I added a beaded garland from Michaels and a wired ribbon bow. I knew I also wanted to include a bird in a nest on the wreath. Problem: Michaels is completed focused on Christmas right now (and cheap stocking stuffer crap that visually clutters our small local stores and makes it not enjoyable to visit), so the two stores I visited did not have larger bird nests in stock. I looked in the floral supply aisle and saw those woven wicker balls. I figured I could do something nest-like with one. With a lot of glue and lots of moss, I think I made a pretty good nest!


I feathered the bird's nest in a similar fashion to Rebecca's teacup nest that she made for me so many years ago, with a strip of sheet music, feathers, a glittered shell, and two pretty buttons.

The saying, A ogni uccello il suo nido e bello, is an Italian proverb that literally means (as near as I can tell) To every bird, his own nest is beautiful. It most closely translates to, according to the Internets, our There's no place like home.


And the wreath stand -- let's just say my husband rocks the power tools. It was fortunate, in a way, that I couldn't find a wreath hanger to buy, as it forced me to be creative. I had the wooden base on hand, and purchased a dowel, a robe hook, and a pretty knob to use as a finial. I *knew* BT could put everything together, but it seemed to me that drilling holes into a small round cylinder would be difficult. Of course he came through, and we made a wreath stand for about $5!


Hidden within the wreath are the teeny tiny clothespins. Guests should get a prize for finding one to clip their wish to, as they are cleverly disguised by the wreath itself.


Finally, I needed tags for folks to write their wishes. I stamped the tags with a cute Wish stamp, tied a bow at the top, and added a little glitter detail. I also made a little sign to tell guests how to use the wreath, but didn't get a pic. At this point the wreath and my gift are headed out to AZ via a family friend, so no more pictures until the shower!

**********

Favorite of the day: This shop came up on Ohdeedoh, and I simply *had* to have a top for Hank's Christmas stocking asap.

Working on: A crazy last minute gift that everybody has told me to quit and forget about it.

3 comments:

vilterietje said...

oh sole mio!!! that's all my italian, but in english: I love it:)
love, riet

nina healy said...

I am so glad that you found inspiration from my wreath. What a wonderful way to translate it to a wish wreath instead. In the spirit of Thanksgiving I was thinking of doing a "thankful" wreath where family members could clip on leaves with handwriten notes about what they are thankful for! The possibilites are endless. :)

Very Mary said...

Bravo dahling! Bravo!