Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving hostess gift

We had a fun Thanksgiving weekend at my parents' house in Arizona! It was a welcome relief to not be hosting/fussing about the details after many years of doing so (like here, here, here, and here). Other activities during our visit included Joe's Farm Grill (from Dives, Diners & Drive-Ins - totally worth the hype, though, outside of the media recognition), Zoo Lights at the Phoenix Zoo, a visit to Goldfield for the little guy, and Trader Vic's for the big kids.



Since I didn't have to worry about preparing the food, I could focus on making a little hostess gift for my mom. Years ago, this was a big deal to bring each other something when we visited each other. I have kind of laid off the tradition, as I am usually running short on time or funds, and I am kind of over the mass accumulation of "stuff" (or contributing to somebody else's accumulation of stuff). My mom, however, is always so kind as to bring a little something for each of us when she comes to visit. I figured it was time to reinstate showing her the same kindness.



I made some very cute hot mitts modeled after a store bought pair. This is really the perfect combo of style and ease of putting on. I see a few more pairs will be making their debut in December. The fabric for this pair kind of called to me from the shelves at JoAnn. I give cosmic kudos to the creative person that put the two together on the shelf, as I would probably not have been able to come up with such a perfect duo. The towel used on the back of the mitts was destined for the thrift store, but ended up being the perfect color to go with the mitts.



After wrapping the mitts with a pair of beautiful Williams Sonoma dishtowels (that *may* have been a gift from my mom in a previous year - shhh), I took a couple of paintings Hank made this month at daycare and cut out fall leaf shapes to adorn the package. Homemade, useful, and small from daughter and grandson - it doesn't get much better than that!



**********

Favorite of the day: My favorite blog of 2010 365 day challenge comes to an end!

Working on: Cleaning the fridge. Despite allllll the other stuff I have going on this month, I am inspired to get some stuff done around the house as well.

2 comments:

vilterietje said...

these gifts are so cute! what a great gesture. Love, riet

Mr Lonely said...

nice blog... have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog...