Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Baby Shower: Quilt

So happy to finish this project!


I have struggled for years about quilting. I have done a few pieced tops, but beyond that point, the idea of quilting and binding made me break out in a cold sweat, so I usually avoided those techniques.


This time I was convinced to do a true quilt. Nothing fancy on the quilting side -- I believe this is called outline quilting. The appliques are raw-edged, but sealed with fray check. This was added after the appliques were sewn to the fabric - something I never do (I usually apply the fray check around the cut pieces and let dry). This was a BIG mistake, as the maroon color bled onto the lighter pieces. This could have been a deal breaker, but fortunately with a couple washes it *mostly* came out.

(Slightly pink around the edges Scotty dog)

You may be wondering about my inspiration for the quilt. I would like to claim I am clever enough to come up with something so cute on my own, but in reality this was my inspiration


a gift bag from the Target dollar section! After finding out the baby we were celebrating as part of The Baby Shower was a boy, I had to change the color scheme. Fortunately I found a pack of fat quarters at Hobby Lobby (the patterned squares) that provided direction about the colors to use. I had most of the fabrics for the appliques on hand.


I added embroidery to a couple squares, and the deer's flower is made from felt. The elephant print was a Japanese print from my stash - always so hard to cut into those! I found a nice flannel print to use for the backing


As far as first quilts go, I would give myself a solid C. Definitely could have spent more time cutting the main squares more accurately. The fray check disaster docked major points. My homemade binding came out really well, though I think I used the wrong stitch to attach it. Many lessons learned for next time, and hopefully some confidence to try this craft again!

**********

Not included in baby shower budget

***********

Favorite of the day: This season's Design Star's first show!

Working on: Luncheon decor

6 comments:

Coleen said...

Absolutely adorable! Love it.

Jenn said...

I give you an A for Adorable :) too cute!

Sarah and Jack said...

Well, I would have told you it's adorable, but it seems I am not alone. :-)

I am sure it will be loved, fray check disaster or not.

Rebecca said...

A C?? Come on, it's much much better then THAT grade. I love it! I'm leary of quilting as well but I may have to give it a go. Excellent job!

mascanlon said...

Its adorable...certainly not a "C"! And you actually don't need to use fray check, it gets a lovely little fringe and babies love how cuddly it is. It even has a fancy name now...called raw edge applique!

Rebecca said...

Hello again! I know I posted on this way back when but I want to make a quilt for my sister's new baby and this inspires me! Wondering how you sewed on the binding and if I should add fray check before like you suggested or try a different way to applique? I'm a newbie to this lol.