Pages

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Mistakes made at the pool today



1) Scheduled swim lessons during dinner time.

2) Am a woman (apparently only dads get in the water for "parent and tot" swim lessons while the moms watch fully clothed on the pool deck - who knew?)

3) Being the only woman, stood out in my tankini, which seemed modest until today with my cleavage hanging out for a pool full of men and babies to see.

4) Didn't try hard enough to wipe Hank's booger nose before we got in the pool, which became worse the more he splashed.

5) Did I mention it was dinner time? Teaching a hungry Hank to swim is like training a bucking bronco.

We have swim lessons at the "Y" for the next four weeks, Tuesdays and Thursdays. I knew there would be some hiccups this first go around, but I didn't anticipate I'd get that feeling I always got when I tried a new sport or activity in my youth - that I didn't know what the hell I was doing and felt I didn't fit in. Well, I'm no longer a quitter, and am not going to let Hank be one either. One-piece swimsuit shopping and finding more filling pre-swimming snacks than cheddar bunnies on the agenda for this week!

(Picture from 4th of July at my parents' house. I was fully clothed at the time)

2 comments:

Coleen said...

So funny. There are a few things I struggle with right now: 1) Don't wear a bikini-- he pulls too much at the areas I don't want everyone to see! 2) Get the kid to touch the bottom of the pool/beach. For some reason, even with swim shoes, he hates the bottom of the pool 3) Toys. I could bring the world's largest bag of toys and he's still more interested in the toys from someone else's bags!

Good luck!

Jennifer said...

For what it's worth, the parent * tot lessons I did with my son were definitely a mommy-ville event, so I think your group is the exception and not the rule. But hey, it doesn't matter! I always feel like I'm the only one who didn't get the memo in life, but I forge ahead and things work out! Have a blast and enjoy the special time with your son.