Pages

Thursday, April 01, 2010

Kitschy tutorial ~ Eyeglass brooch

What do these two items have in common?


One is a clever re-purposed use for the other! I found this cute brooch at last year's church rummage sale. Admittedly I myself did not realize it was made from an eyeglass lens until the cashier pointed it out. I just liked the little bug.


Since that time, I have been meaning to make my own eyeglass brooches using my old glasses. Of course, I would prefer to donate my eyeglasses to the Lion's Club recycling program, which seems like a really great effort. However, since my lenses contain prisms (since my eyes are all jacked up), I have been told my glasses are not usable in the program.

Well, at least this way my funky lenses will not end up in the trash. If you have an extra pair of eyeglasses lying around, you could make a brooch as well. You will also need

~ An adhesive such as Diamond Glaze or E6000
~ Scissors or Exact-o blade
~ Wrapping paper or other ephemera
~ Paint and brush (optional)
~ Pin back
~ Adhesive to attach pin back (E6000 can be used for this step as well, or glue gun)


First, decide what image you would like to display in your brooch. I used vintage wrapping paper. You may want to test to make sure your image will not bleed when adhesive is applied (the purple flowers did end up bleeding, so had to choose another image)


Apply glue to the center of the back of your lens (the side that was towards your face when you were wearing them). You will work the glue towards the edge of the lens, like this


and blot it off. It is best to leave some extra room around the part of the image you want to capture to allow for centering and some slight folding as you work your image to fit the concave shape of the lens. It is best to do this step quickly and avoid pressing the paper more than necessary, as it may begin to weaken in areas (hence the different mermaid in the final set of brooches).


Once your image is attached and the glue has set, you can trim off the excess with scissors or an Exact-o blade. It is fairly easy to get a line flush with the edge of the lens.


Once dry, you can paint the back of the brooch if you would like. A pin back can be added with E6000 (or equivalent) or a glue gun.


and voila! A scrap item is once again made fashionable.

(If you go looking for glasses at the thrift store to use for this craft, I recommend getting the biggest lenses available. Also glass lenses seem to work better for this project. They have some heft, which is nice, and no protective coatings to react with the glue.)

**********

Favorite of the day: Nothing new to report

Working on: A little giveaway for some of my favorite people!

25 comments:

Jenn said...

what a really cool idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

Melanie said...

That is such a neat idea. I never would have thought to reuse glasses in that way. Impressive!

Ariana Moj Hobi said...

Fantastic idea!!!!!!GREAT!

woof nanny said...

Omg! What a fun idea! I love it! You could go one step further and copper tape the edge then solder it if you wanted to. Hmmmm....

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

So fun & cute! Thanks to woof nanny for the link!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, these are so cute! What a great idea. I just clicked over from The Crafty Crow and I'm so glad I did. I would love to link to this if you didn't mind.

OnJewels said...

Fun tutorial and a great use for old glasses! I would love to share a link to this tutorial with our readers at CraftGossip, if you don't mind.

DymphieM said...

love this!

Monica said...

Perfect! These are adorable and so easy. Just in time for Mother's Day!

bellivas said...

thats very cool but also keep in mind that if you have spare and old glasses you dont need anymore you can donate them to an organisation called unite for sight ,they give the glasses they collect to poor countrie s of africa-have a good night1

Dita Maulani said...

Easy to make! I made one. I put this link on my blog to, thank you very much for inspiration! ;)

http://handmadenest.blogspot.com/2010/04/lens-necklace.html

rosemaryschild said...

What a perfect idea! Luv it!

marije said...

how cool is this!!
I am an optician, so for me it is extra cool. thanks for your idea

www.etsy.com/shop/mytrinketshoponline said...

this is an awesome idea! thanks for sharing :)

Jessica said...

wow that is so awesome, I'm forever saving things and still have some of my old eyeglasses, now I have a use for them!!! Thank you! :)

Elba said...

Achei so cute sua ideia que postei no meu blog, with a link to your, ok?
Any problem? I hope no.
Sorry for my English. It's very, very bad... :)
Kisses!

Sonia Facion said...

Muito lindo!!! Very beautiful!!!

Eu gostei. I liked.

Beijos. Kisses.

Sonia

GOSTO DE FAZER ARTE said...

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fantastic ideal!!!!

Harmony said...

I love this idea!! And it would be really fun to coat the back with some sort of sealant, and put the finished product on a headband. Make a new/funky/interesting headband!

Lexi said...

This is such a cute and innovative idea. Cheap too! I'm all about cheap, haha!

I featured your tutorial on my blog!

Check it out, here: http://ohthatscrafty.blogspot.com/2010/10/eyeglasses-brooch.html

HJC Editor said...

Your tutorial is an awesome inspiration! Many thanks for sharing. I would like to feature your designs at http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com/

Kindly contact me here if you have a concern.

Jane
http://diylessons.org/
http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com/

Carlinha said...

I am from Brasilian! I love the idea! Kisses for you!

eyeglasses said...

Eyeglasses are one of the only “accessories” that society allows a guy to wear. I’ve always admired how they showed my intellect. Every time I see a friend with a pair of nifty glasses, I want to try them on to see how they would look on me.

eyeglasses

ReFab Diaries said...

You've been ReFabbed! I love this idea so I've shared it ... take a look:
http://www.refabdiaries.com/2012/07/repurpose-second-sight-for-old-specs.html

jasmine nile said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.