Pages

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Soup-er Dinner

I am always intrigued by the 4-course meal in Martha Stewart Living magazine (you know - the set of recipes found in the magazine each month printed on tear-apart cardstock?)



*See note

I rarely make them, though. Maybe I'm intimidated by thinking I have to make all four components? Anyway, I had almost everything on hand to make at least one dish from the April issue, the Scallops with Wilted Spinach and Arugula, so I decided to give it a go after a quick trip to the grocery store.



Looking through the other recipes in the set, and realized I inadvertently had everything on hand to make the Spring Onion Soup as well (using yellow onions instead of spring onions).



It was really good - like a light version of French Onion Soup. I am definitely inspired to recipes from this section of MSL more often!
* This is the oldest trick in the book for having essential ingredients on hand. I buy organic chicken broth in 1 quart boxes, but rarely need to use a box all at once. I freeze the remainder. Each cube is 2 ounces.
**********
Favorite of the day: Tapeswell (via Kirtsy and a few other sources as of late)
Working on: Easter prep

3 comments:

Junie Moon said...

I've been having fun exploring heretofore intimidating recipes, too, and have been pleasantly surprised with the results. Your efforts look wonderful. I didn't know about the ability to freeze the stock, thanks for sharing that as I have quite a bit and have been frantically trying to find recipes to use it up before it's wasted. Your solution is perfect.

Deirdre said...

We bought a Martha Stewart cooking magazine just for one recipe: it was fantastic. I can't remember what it was, just that it was delicious.

We made another recipe from the same magazine: Irish Beef Stew. The name should have given it away -- no taste a-tall. Luckly it called for Guiness, so we just drank the rest of the six-pack. heh heh

Full of Heart said...

Apparently I'm not on the same page and missed the part where people were informed about your freezing chicken stock trick. GENIUS!