Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Inspiration can come from the darnedest places

Today is sweet Evie's birthday

She and I have a history of making gifts for each other for birthdays and holidays. My quandary this year was what to make my dear crafty friend when I only have access to about a quarter of my crafting supplies?

You see, though we technically moved into our new house almost two months ago, we are far from settled. There is a lot of work that needed to take place in each room before we can unpack. In the meantime, our life is piled high in the living room. That we do not have a proper living room doesn't matter, as we sold almost all of our furniture before moving in. We have no couch, TV, dining room table, or many other modern living "necessities." We spend most of our free time in the bedroom, as that room is basically complete. We do watch movies on the laptop occasionally, so don't think I went all hippie granola on you. I have somehow adapted to living in chaos, but it does become a problem when I feel the need to make something.

Rummaging through the piles, I found a small box of swap package filler items that was sitting out in the open, and surprisingly wasn't packed in a larger box and therefore was easily accessible. Inside the box I found this pack of Japanese stationery



The apples were definitely Evie-esque, but what could I do with them?

I had had the foresight to put some craft materials aside with the thought it would take some time (perhaps not quite this long) to get settled. In a box with some in progress baby outfits, there were a few pieces of polka dot fabric I intended to use in a baby quilt. The rusty gears started grinding, and out popped these



Coasters inspired by the stationery! The best part was that they did not require sewing, since, though I kept most of my sewing supplies accessible, I managed to pack all of my thread and bobbins in a box I'm sure is forming the base of a tower of boxes.

At lunchtime I popped over to Evie's place with the coasters and a cupcake, and kept the handmade gifting tradition alive!

Happy Birthday again, friend!

3 comments:

mayaluna said...

Great little coasters and I love how it all came together!

Gina said...

OH my gosh! I love your sweet apples.

jek-a-go-go said...

fabulous stationery, great coasters you are still an inspiration!