Pages

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Squirrelly

Well, Evie probably doesn't even know it, but I have been infinitely jealous of her cookie jar - a kitschy rabbit - ever since my first visit to her pad. I've longed for my own cool cookie jar, and last week I finally found one that fit the bill



Actually, this one is high on the nostalgia scale as well, as is it the very same one my grandma had. I found it at an antique store for $20 amongst cookies jars priced up to $250. There's no accounting for taste...

Upon buying a new cookie jar, one must of course inaugurate it by filling it with cookies, right? I made two recipes from Martha's Cookies cookbook - Chocolate Crackles





and Rocky Ledge Bars.





I intended to make some the Blueberry Bonanza Bars as well, but as I didn't read the recipe before going out to buy blueberries @ the farmer's market, I didn't realize the recipe called for blueberry jam instead. So, I made a buckle



You know what they say - When life gives you blueberries...



Anyway - Speaking of squirrels, I also finished this quilt for an upcoming baby of a woodland lovin' mama





Long-time readers may remember these embroidery pieces started eons ago. I finally found a use for them! I am also proud of the fact that all of the fabric was from my stash. There's probably an analogy to made there between a squirrel's stash of nuts, and my stash of fabric, but I'm too tired to think of it...

11 comments:

crazycatladymel said...

I think it's a fabulous cookie jar!

Rebecca said...

Love the quilt! I love that woodland theme, too. :)

So would you reccomend Martha's cookie book? I've been thinking about checking it out!

cheers

leslie said...

wow jen!!!! i think i saw that jar at that place closing down across from the ballet academy? jans??? if so, if it was 20 dollars too, i am way jealous! there were many cookie jars there i was in love with (that one and another mushroom one, or maybe it was one in the same) and it was soooo high up, i never got the price on it. good job girl! all that food looks divine and the quilt is fabulous! i spent hours getting our backyard cleaned up, soon we can have a bar b que and YOU bring dessert???

xo

Anne said...

Now I'm jealous of your cookie jar!

gardienne said...

Hi! I tagged you, I hope you don't mind... I've been enjoying your blog for a while now and would like to know more about you!
Check my blog for the rules...they are pretty simple. :)

mascanlon said...

Very cute, I like it when I find the right home for an older project sitting and waiting. Thanks for sharing!

Gail :) said...

Too cute! My Sororiety mascot was a squirrel. I love your adorable quilt too!

Junie Moon said...

What a cute cookie jar and I love that it's like your grandmother's. Your quilt is so pretty; there is just something so wonderfully comforting about quilts.

Saucy said...

I spied Martha's cookie book at the store just yesterday... it is calling my name. I don't want to get it just yet because my oven is on the fritz and I'm angling for a new one. A girl cannot talk herself into a new oven if she produces fantastic cookies at every turn, can she now?

woof nanny said...

I have a love affair with cookie jars. I would totally collect them if I didn't rein myself in. I already have three (more than enough). But they're just so incredible. I feel the same way about canisters.
That blankie is insanely awesome--LOVE IT! Just adorable vintage goodness.

Jane said...

The cookie jar reminds me of a similar owl cookie jar my grandma had. Very cool! And, priced right!

The blanket is awesome. I love how gender neutral it is. There is so little out there that is truly gender neutral without yellow duckies on it. Love it!