Pages

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Doggie Yurt

When there's a dollar store challenge, you know I'll be there. Heck, I even hosted my own dollar store challenge way back when.

The latest challenge was on Craftster, and invited participants to "make something fabulous and hopefully totally unexpected out of items you buy at a dollar store that
cost a total $10 or less."

My idea was to make a yurt for Chuy. Yurts, of course, are very fashionable with the environmental set. So, why not make a yurt for our favorite pooch?



Supplies (all from the 99 Cents Only Store):



~ Chopsticks
~ Rubber bands
~ Masking tape
~ Strainer

~ Velour baby blanket (had to go back and buy another one)

~ Picture frame
~ Kite (for string)
~ Rug

(Chihuahua not from dollar store)


Total spent: $9


Basic plans found here (modified heavily based on lack of supplies and know-how)

The frame was constructed using double-strength chopsticks and rubberbanding them together at the joints (imagine a diamond pattern). This made a very flexible frame. It was then attached to the picture frame as a doorway.




The roof was made by sticking chopsticks into the lid of the strainer and then covering it with the second baby blanket.



This yurt was made possible through the help of our pal, Evie. She was a real trooper to sit though the process of figuring out what to do with a bunch of sticks and rubber bands. She even fashioned a little rain fly out of the kite for the roof of the yurt



A stylish, environmentally-friendly (well, probably not considering most of this stuff was made in China), and economical abode for our dog, Chuy.



There is some pretty stiff competition this year. Voting for the dollar store challenge is over here. (Note: You must have or set up a free Craftster account to vote!)

21 comments:

Emy said...

I didnt even realize that was you!!! I saw it this morning.

tricia said...

That is so cool. I first started reading your blog way back when you did your fist .99 challenge

Angela said...

That yurt is enough to make me, a self-professed big dog mama, reconsider the benefits of a dog under 80lbs. Adorable!
We may have to make one for my daughter's guinea pig instead!

Jane said...

So fabulous!

Gina said...

Wow, that's terrific!

leslie said...

oh my gosh, the chopsticks are killing me!!!!

Junie Moon said...

What an amazing yurt and such an adorable idea for Chuy. I consider your project a blue-ribbon winnder.

Handi Dandi Mandi said...

That is so cute! I love it, it turned out great!

SpAzzGiRL said...

amazing!

Geo said...

Fabulous! I want to make one of these for my dog!

quirkycrab said...

That is so awesome!

woof nanny said...

Dude! I didn't realize you were so mechanically inclined. I never would have figured that out. My gosh, Chuy must be TINY if the walls are constructed with chopsticks. Big kudos--this rocks.

Anna said...

This is so awesome!! I found your site by complete accident.. I run my own online Yurt Tshirt shop (www.theyurtopia.com). i sell "yurt doggie shirts" too!.. this is amazing.. i may have to link to you!! Or maybe we should just start a doggie yurt business together! :P

yurt love,
Anna
http://www.cafepress.com/yurtopia/3598615

African Kelli said...

get. out. of. here! That is the coolest thing ever. bravo to you and your frugal creativity!!

Kathy said...

Love the yert! I never have heard of a 99 cent store challenge, but I will sure be doing one in the future!

JuicyFig said...

heheh - that is too good! my dog would think I was completly insane if I built her a yurt! wonderful, I love it - will never look at a pound shop in quite the same uncreative way again!

Kath
x

Scarlet Tanager said...

Chuy is one lucky dog! That yurt is very, very cool! Do you do custom yurts for cats and rabbits?

LallaLydia said...

That's pretty ingenious and funny, if somewhat unecessary...The inside shot of the "roof" looks very architectural; it took me a moment to realize that it was indeed to doggy yurt.

Anonymous said...

that is simply genius!

g├ędane said...

hihihi so cute!!

Angelique said...

That is seriously adorable!