Pages

Friday, April 04, 2008

Changes...

It is with heavy heart that I write this. I have been blogging for nearly 4 years now. Blogging has become such a part of my life - doing new projects, coming up with new things to share with women around the world. Some of those women I have been fortunate enough to meet in *real* life, or at least get to know on a more personal level. I will cherish those relationships forever.

As much as I try, I cannot bring myself to type that I am stopping blogging all together. But, I will be scaling back quite a bit. My goal is to post weekly, but don't hold me to that. There may be a whole month where you don't hear from me at all. I will not come back with apologies, or excuses for my absence.

Likewise, I know this will affect my blog relationships as well. I realize one of the keys to having a successful blog is to post frequently. I guess I could pop in every day with "I'm tired" or "I'm stressed," but I don't think that would be very exciting. The projects I do from here on in will be ones I would have done regardless, and not just blog fodder. I totally understand if this is a turn off, and that some people will be moving on.

Why the sudden change in direction? Well, we are trying to save money for one. Turns out even dilapidated houses are damn expensive, and we are woefully under-prepared. We have started using Wesabe to track our finances, and y-i-k-e-s - the amount I spend monthly on crafting and blog related endeavors is downright alarming. Mama needs a new refrigerator more than she needs to make an apron that will inevitably get stuffed in a bag destined for Goodwill.

On top of that, I am tired all the time, and I am stressed at work. Too many changes happening too fast have made me relish the time spent curled up on the couch in front of the TV, zoning out. No commitments, no obligations. I have a feeling things will be changing even more, and I will cherish the memory of a time when could tune out the world and just be.

This is waaaay longer than I intended. In summary, this is now The Felt Mouse - Lite. Don't think that gets you off the hook, though - I will still be visiting you and marveling at all your wonderful creations!

22 comments:

Melanie said...

Awww. I feel sad. I had just discovered your blog last month and had great fun reading back through your posts. You are a great writer, and your photos are fantastic. I know you started with a craft blog, but I hope you continue to use it as a hodge-podge of what is going on in your life. I'll still pop in from time to time to see what you are up to. Take care!

Janet said...

Hey lady! Don't you worry. Your blog is one of my faves and no matter if you post daily, weekly or monthly...I will still be reading and will look forward to it!
I really don't understand how people CAN post every single day.
I hope that this helps ease some stress and I definitely understand about money worries...I'm there with ya sister! :)

Sarah and Jack said...

I will certainly miss you!

I was thinking the other day that I wished you would post more environmental stuff. It makes me think and I need someone to chat about things like those green produce bags (do they actually work?) and so forth. :-)

Jane said...

I totally understand. As for house hunting, I really totally understand. Take care of yourself. I look forward to Felt Mouse Lite whatever that happens to be!

Heidi said...

I'll miss you too! I do hope that you're able to rest and feel renewed, and that you'll find the house of your dreams! Take care!

telfair said...

I totally get it...and I agree with Janet -- however often you manage to check in and post, I will be right there to read it!

It is a privilege to know you in this crazy communication sphere, and I hope that you take all of the time that you need for yourself and your life. Your loyal friends & fans will be right here waiting for you whenever you feel like coming back!

tricia said...

I'll miss your updates, but hope this gives you time to recharge.

Emy said...

Yeah, it should never feel like a chore, especially crafting. Its supposed to make you feel good!
Hope things work themselves out though.

Heidi said...

You've got to do what you've got to do. Blogging should be fun, and when it becomes a chore (or a financial burden), you're right to take a little break. You will be missed though. Be sure to check in occasionally and let us know you're OK. Peace to you.

Greta Adams said...

i am right here with ya girl...i scaled back alot myself...

i made something for you will mail out monday...be on the look out for it...

Not Martha said...

I will really miss reading your posts-you are one of my favorite bloggers. But no matter how few and far between your posts are, I will still be eagerly reading!

Coleen said...

I'll miss all your fun posts, but am relieved to hear you're not leaving for good. Yours really is a blog I check each time I check my favorites! Good luck with the house hunting, look forward to some updates every once in a while! :)

laura said...

my crafting level dropped waaaay back when i bought a dilapidated old house, too. and as i barely post monthly on my blog, i can't fault you for scaling back either! you're on my RSS feed, so I look forward to any future posts.

Cindy said...

You are a treasure no matter how often you post! Actually I like bloggers that post less-----I can truly keep up! But then you know me---someone never told me I was supposed to post regularly (hehe)! You frequent posts will be missed but we won't go away!!!!! Take care!

leslie said...

hey there felt mouse, i have gone from daily posting to about twice a week myself... same boat over at my house. i cant wait to get together to chat about hawaii, give me a call and lets get together? i know you are busy and my work has picked up a bit. we can always just hang at the beach to catch up, i know where you are staying so i will send the girls over to get you guys up early! ha ha!

Junie Moon said...

It's important to do what is important for you and your family. Applause to you for knowing what your priorities are for your future.

Rebecca said...

:) While I'll miss your oft-time daily posts I know this is right for you. Plus, we'll still talk, right?? And, I know EXACTLY how you feel. Exactly. Good luck, my friend, and don't be too much of a stranger. :)

Anne said...

I will still stop by, and I understand - there is a world beyond blogging.

woof nanny said...

I'm here Jen. I'm always here if you need me. I understand. Remember, however, that crafting and writing can both be great stress relievers. Do what makes you smile. Do stuff because you want to, not because you "have" to. If that's snuggling, great. If it's making an apron, great. Those of us who love you will continue to regardless of how often you post.

elizabeth said...

oh i could have written this post myself. if you've even visited my blog recently you'll see the number of posts is minimal (shall we say 2?!?!?!) i too have pondered the idea of giving up the blog altogether but i can't. the thought of it saddens me. i would like to have the time and the energy to post every day or hell even a couple of days a week, but i've been busy living life which makes me happy. but you are right about one thing, not posting often does effect your bloggy relationships (or shall i now say lack of :(

good luck with all your adventures and thanks for the moola link! can't wait to see what projects you have for the future.

*mwah*

Amy said...

You are one of my favorite reads, but I understand both sides of the coin. I am proud of you for admitting you need this time and I will continue to visit your lighter schedule, as always :)

Alicia P. said...

Sweetie -- for some reason I just thought to check in on you today. I was thinking about the time, maybe two years ago now, when I had the store and basically sat and read blogs all day, and how I never do that anymore, and how I miss it, and how I miss my old friends. Life has changed, and I don't have those hours I once did. BUT I still think, no matter what, that blogging is about whatever it's about for the person DOING it, not reading it. It should always be exactly what you want it to be, when you want it to be, how you want it to be, and that is always enough. Blogging came into my life at a time when I was so stressed, and it was a great stress reducer. It makes me so sad when it feels to me like a stress INDUCER, as it does sometimes. So I always make a promise to myself to not ever feel obligated there -- because that is the one little place that is just for me, no matter what. So I guess what I'm rambling about is just that I understand completely -- and sometimes just saying "I'm gonna do this my own way" helps so much, and I think that's what I hear you saying. And I say YOU GO GIRL. xo