Pages

Monday, March 24, 2008

A tale of two blankies

Circa the year 2000, I decided I was going to learn how to knit. I went to Michaels and bought a learn-to-knit book that was written in the early 80s - with minimal pictures and the fugliest projects of all time - and 4 skeins of yellow acrylic yarn. My first project, I determined, was a baby blanket for my sister-in-law. I'd just follow the directions for the project on the skein of yarn. How hard could it be? I had two grandmas that knit and crocheted, and they made it seem like a breeze.

A week later, I had sworn off knitting forever. After many temper tantrums and hurling of knotted yellow yarn entangled around two knitting needles, I decided knitting wasn't my thing. I took a bag full of yellow yarn to give to BT's aunt, who I figured would undoubtedly know somebody who could use it.

That Christmas, I received this



It was the exact blanket I had attempted to make (a little hefty for a beginner, dontcha think?) with a sweet note from my aunt's friend's mom, the final recipient of the yarn, who had loads of talent and oodles of kindness to make such a thoughtful gift for somebody she didn't know. An instant heirloom for a far distant baby.

Fast forward to 2007. I had somehow convinced myself to resume knitting and, though I didn't really push myself to try anything too challenging, I had a few skills under my belt. One day, a friend from my book group gave me a bag of sea green acrylic yarn and said that she hated knitting, and would never try it again. I told her the story of the yellow blanket, and let her know she would be seeing her yarn again. And that she would probably try knitting again one day, too. I am almost finished



I hope she finds having a handmade baby blanket around inspiring.

21 comments:

LeeAnn said...

That's a wonderful story. I hope your friend does get inspired.

I AM VERY MARY said...

I'm with LeeAnn, that is only the best story ever:)

Heidi said...

Cool story. And nice pattern on the blanket.

Di said...

What a great story!! It's great that you can pass on the joy of receiving a hand knitted gift! I think that knitting has moved on so much in the last 10 years - all these new yarns are just so inspiring!

lera said...

What a nice story. Your friend will love it.

Junie Moon said...

I love this story of challenge and eventual success. And I love that the first blanket returned to you and now you're doing the same with another blanket. Congratulations on prevailing with your knitting challenge.

Carrie S. said...

Aw, Jenn! That is so sweet! And your blanket is lovely - please share the pattern!

Handi Dandi Mandi said...

That is such a great story! Your blanket turned out great! Your learn to knit book sounds strangely like my 'learn to crochet' book with it's scary patterns.

Rebecca said...

Grest story! And your blankey looks wonderful. :) I HATED knitting when I started. I cursed a lot and ended up with this oddly shaped piece of acrylic crap filled with holes. Oy. But I picked it up again a few months later and it just clicked. :) Sometimes you just have to be ready I guess. :)

Molly said...

Great job! You have a skill and a pastime that will last a lifetime. Way to persevere. I just learned how to crochet after growing up in a "knitting family." It is so fun to branch out and learn something new.

Lisa said...

oh, that is the nicest story! Your blanket turned out great. I like the pattern & the color, very pretty.

telfair said...

What a great story & beautiful blankie! It makes me want to knit one for myself now that I know how to knit -- thanks to you, my knitting inspiration.

emy said...

knitting is so scary at first, then it just kind of clicks. it's nice of you to make your friend such a wonderful blanket.

Kathy said...

great story, way to follow through!

Stephknits3 said...

Lovely blanket! Great job!

Scarlet Tanager said...

The blanket is beautiful! What a great job and a great story!

Anonymous said...

Yes, please share the pattern with us!

SDC

Jennifer said...

The pattern is from a booklet called Sweet Layettes to Knit. The pattern stitch is

~ K4, purl across to last 4 sts, K4
~ Knit across
~ K4, purl across to last 4 sts, K4
~ K4, K2 tog (YO, K2, K2 tog) across to last 5 sts, YO, K5
~ K4, purl across to last 4 sts, K4
~ Knit across
~ K4, purl across to last 4 sts, K4
~ K6, K2 tog (YO, K2, K2 tog) across to last 7 sts, YO, K7

cast on 107 sts. Begin and end with 6 rows knit across. Finished size 34" X 45"

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pattern and resource info Jennifer!

SDC

juliekintaiwan said...

Very sweet!

I've been wanting to learn to knit and crochet for years. Finally learnt the basics of crochet last year and went to a knitting circle this year. Love Crocheting, hate knitting!

woof nanny said...

What a cool thing. Good karma and full circle. Nice! You should tell the lady who made the yellow one that you were inspired by her example.