Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The stuff dreams are made of

What a pair of retro-loving house hunters go weak in the knees for



And what they don't:

~ Poorly installed laminate flooring (stagger it, people)

~ Low grade cabinets and countertops that have no connection to the style of the house whatsoever

~ Generic tub and shower surround that is about 3 sizes too small for the space it is crammed into

~ Unnecessary baseboards that aren't flush with the walls

~ Cookie cutter light fixtures

~ Ready-made fence (presumably replacing custom-designed one) that is already falling apart

~ 30 foot tall bamboo ( we love bamboo, but come on)

Thank God they didn't touch the ceiling. Or the rock covered roof.

If you are going to become a flipper, please be sensitive that not every house can or should be McMansionized. Thank you for giving us months of work to fix your mistakes - provided we get into this, our dream home.

eek!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Good luck to you both! Hope it works out for you. Love the the ceiling as it reminds me of some homes here in Texas.

Jenn #2

Handi Dandi Mandi said...

I have faith it will all work out. Good luck to you!

Emy said...

all of that is fix-able! good luck!

Junie Moon said...

Oh dear, many house challenges you're facing. I told my husband that I want our next house to be a fixer-upper as I love repairing and improving on things. But, I shall be very cautious as to what needs to be done so as to keep the costs more manageable. I'm adding your list to my own list as things to look at first.

Shanna said...

oh man! that's a total dream house for me too! when we get back to the states we want to find a house that hasn't been touched...i seriously doubt we'll find that since people think the home depot, generic look is in! come on people!! we love the old bathrooms and kitchens! what i would give for some built-ins!! good luck! crossing my fingers and toes for ya!

Miss Bliss said...

Oh my gosh! Good luck to you!!!! How exciting! And for the record that ceiling is amazing can't wait to see more if you take the plunge!

leslie said...

wow jen! you will have to keep me posted on this new adventure! 11 years into our fixer upper, its still not done and the first projects we tackled need to be done AGAIN, oh well! if anyone would respect and love an old retro house it would be you guys. wish you could move into a cliff may in my neighborhood, theres a lot for sale right now, we could be neighbors (really close neighbors!) you could rescue them since many have been "modernized" exactly as you described.
xoxoxo

PumpkinGirl said...

Dontcha just want to kick people, sometimes? Like that old mantra "If it's not worth doing right, it's not worth doing at all." Or did I just make that up...? Anyway, it's true!

eviedee said...

You are official house hunters?! I am so excited for you! I will have my fingers crossed until my hands are needed for helping you paint. Best of luck!

Jane said...

GOOD Luck! I am crossing my fingers for you. Finding something in LA county is so hard. Can't wait to see you add your own touches and make it a home!

woof nanny said...

Wow Jen, how exciting. Think of the tiki parties you could host! Just sayin'...

robiewankenobie said...

wowza! that's some ceiling, chica. just a thought, but you might want to check out danny seo's blog, he is rehabbing a similar house. http://www.dannyseo.typepad.com/