Pages

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

A half past a button...

I love getting MS Good Things for Kids namely because so many of the projects use recycled materials. My days as an intern guiding small grubby hands in making craft projects from recyclables at community events is long behind me {sniff}. Not that I was once iota as creative as Martha's designers. I am continually in awe of what they can do with - well - a can.

I was particularly impressed with the button clocks in the Winter 08 issue. So, I made a couple



I didn't peruse the online bulletin board to find out if anybody had luck sourcing the exact perfect hands used in the sample, but in emailing klockit.com they a) were not aware their company was featured in the periodical, and b) do not sell those hands. I bought the hands at Rockler, and they are only so-so. I even had to paint the second hand myself so I could capture some of the original appeal of Martha's version. I also was not so fortunate to have two-tone and/or plaid vintage buttons on hand grumble grumble. I did find plain the white cookie tins at the Container Store.

Despite not having the cornucopia of perfect craft supplies that resides behind all of Martha's craft projects, I am still happy with how these turned out. I hope somebody enjoys hers as well!

5 comments:

Jane said...

Nice job! I think that green button in the 9:00 position is pretty cool looking!

Raggy Rat said...

they look very fresh and i want one ... i have my grannys old button tin to raid ....

found you thru silver seams, i was just working with one of hr patterns ...

cat xxx

Sarah and Jack said...

Love the clocks.

There are some super cute little ideas in that mag. I should actually do something other than just look at them someday, eh? LOL

eviedee said...

Eek! Buttons and clocks have been rivals for my affection for years! (I just love them both so much how could I ever choose between them?) Finally my craft room is at peace. THANK YOU!!

tricia said...

I Love Those!!