Pages

Monday, February 04, 2008

A Welcoming Mailbox

You know you're in trouble when you can't get past the first page of a magazine, and ad no less, without being inspired to do a project.



Such was the case with the February issue of Home Companion. The ad was for Doodlebug Design Inc., which featured a cute as can be scrappy mailbox (also on the website). My SIL and I made a paper mailbox very similar to the one in the ad several years ago, and, needless to say, it was a major pain in the arse.



This time I decided to work smarter, not harder. The metal mailbox is from the Target dollar section. I covered it with paper (also from the Target dollar section, last year) and added a few other accents.



I found a plain, white, dome-shaped roll stamp dispenser at the post office, and decided to gussy it up a bit as well. The "feet" are pony beads. I used a piece of vellum as the base for the stickers.



Just a few goodies so far - what will you fill it with? Leave a comment, and this mailbox + stamp dispenser could end up in yours!

* Mary Ann is the winner of yesterday's giveaway. You *may* be sensing a theme here. I'm hesitant to put it in writing, 'cause that will just jinx things, but for now just keep leaving those comments!

19 comments:

Marlo said...

I just found your blog today and I am hooked already, from the worms in your compost to this cutest V-day mailbox. Love it.

Carrie said...

Well I have a three year old boy, so take this with a grain of salt, but my first thought is it stuffed with an assortment of red cars. His jaw would fall off!

erin said...

Love the cutsey mailbox and stamp dispenser. Just treated myself to a 3-year subscription of Home Companion...I'm a previous subscriber, but had let it lapse a while:(

Sarah and Jack said...

It's darling.

And speaking of darling, thank you for the lovely New Years gift. It arrived in a pile of packages of which has been hanging around waiting for me to feel better, and I feel terrible for not thanking you. :-)

Heidi said...

Doodlebug's ads are always my very favorite, hands down! I just love all the bright cheery colors and the cute ideas they show. Everything looks like candy! There's cute stuff on their website, too.

lera said...

I bought a few of those mailboxes a few weeks ago, what a cute idea! I might need to try that.

(You don't have to enter me in the giveaway.)

elizabeth said...

oh one night greta and i sat down to do a mailbox outta paper and you're very right, its a pain in the arse!!! to say the least.

i do love those mailboxes from target and i need to do something with them :)

hunnybunny said...

That is such a good idea. It's also super cute. I'm a sucker for Home Companion. I should just suck it up and subscribe.

Rebecca said...

Why I would fill it with love of course! ;)

Those doodlebug ads get me every time.

Junie Moon said...

What fun Valentine projects! I think I'd pop in a surprise cupcake made with bits of cherries--and with a cherry on top (on the day it was to be discovered).

Wendy said...

Oh my gosh, the mailbox is too cute for words! I love that magazine too.
Found you through Rebecca's Thrifty Goodness blog...
Did you check out here awesome thrift finds?!

Sandy said...

Those are just too cute! You really did a great job with them!
Thanks for the giveaways! They make these last dreary days of winter a little more cheery.

Simply Stork said...

ohhh the mail box is lovely...how cool it would be to recieve valentine's in such a mannor...I must go and make one for my kiddo's

got to go now :o)

~simply~

African Kelli said...

Oh my gosh! That is just adorable. Yay for valentine's and for heart crafts.

Crafty Mom said...

How cute is that!? I love it!

I would fill it with homemade Valentine's and chocolate hearts :)

jess said...

I came across your blog while doing a search for felt mailboxes, I love this idea, it turned out great!!

meg said...

very, very sweet.

The Shopping Sherpa said...

I'm soooo jealous. Although we have Target here in Australia it's not the same as the US one and definitely doesn't have a dollar section. If it did I'd be off to collect as many of those mailboxes as they had in stock. Sigh...

hunnybunny said...

I know I already commented on this post but I made some last night. I just posted them on my blog,they came out so cute. Thank you for posting this. I knew I wanted some and promptly forgot. It was just the reminder I needed.