Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Go Green in 2008 ~ Worms eat my garbage

We do not have a compost bin here at home. It's not really *my thing* as far as waste management goes. Tending the pile seems tedious to me (although I've been assured it is not), and since I don't really garden, I don't have much use for the compost produced.



Fortunately, we have a worm bin at work. I bring in my veggie scraps from home to be gobbled up by a pack of voracious red wiggler worms, a process known as vermicomposting. Again, I'm not really sure where the product, the worm casings, ends up. But, I'm sure somebody's garden is very happy. Kids love the worms, if you are interested in starting your own worm bin.

About composting
About vermicomposting
About grasscycling, or leaving clippings on your yard when mowing
Where to buy: Gardener's Supply Company, Happy D Ranch, or inquire with your local jurisdiction to find out if they have bins available at a discounted price.

1 comment:

Karen @ Wiggly Wigglers said...

Hi Jennifer,

I'm glad to hear that all your kitchen scraps don't go to waste. I recently did a post about composting about worms which might be of interest.

http://wigglywigglers.blogspot.com/2008/01/composting-worms-love-kitchen-waste.html