Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Go Green in 2008 ~ BYO Take-Out Box

As you can imagine in the recycling biz, we often quiz each other on who is the most green. It is all in fun, as one person's environmental habit is another peer's environmental nightmare. I score big on using reusable bags for all shopping, not just at the grocery store. I obviously score low on cleaning products. And my replacement for Diet Coke - glorified bottled water.



One idea thrown out by a peer that I hadn't thought of was to take a reusable container to restaurants to use as a to-go box instead of using whatever Styrofoam monstrosity they have on hand. That's genius, I cried - and went out and bought my container the very same day. I had to buy it (and not just use a container on hand) as it had to be of the *right* shape. This container fits well in my purse when I'm going in to a restaurant (I leave it in the car with my shopping bags otherwise). I also liked that it had the divider.

There are a couple of cute, small stainless steel tiffin-like carriers at Cost Plus and Bed Bath and Beyond for those of you interested in this idea, but who aren't too fond of plastic.

6 comments:

Junie Moon said...

What a great idea--I would never have thought of taking my own container. It certainly is better than the styrofoam boxes they hand out.

Sarabeth said...

I just read this tip somewhere else for "doggie bags," but I'm so surprised a restaurant would take a container from a customer to fill with leftovers. Seems like that would be against their health regs. Or do you just fill it yourself at the table??
I do cringe at the amount of packaging that comes home whenever we order takeout from the local Indian or Japanese restaurant...

jek-a-go-go said...

I keep forgetting about that! We don't eat out all that often but just the other day I decided to get us each our own silverware set in a travel box, like a kids bento thing so that we won;t be using plastic forks, etc. when we eat at our favorite Indian place and such.

Jennifer said...

Oops! Forgot to add that vital piece of info! I fill the container myself at the table. I get squeamish when they take my food away, so this works better all around!

Heidi said...

Brilliant! I can't believe I never heard of this before. Thanks for the great idea, Jen.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, yes! I do this!

Marti in Franklin, Indiana