Pages

Monday, October 08, 2007

Surprise Tins

It was a holiday for me today, though I can't say I rested much. I got soooo much done today, I would get carpal tunnel syndrome if I tried to type it all out for you! I thought it was enough to have every other Friday off, but now I'm thinking Mondays should be designated as off days for me as well.

One project completed today, for my seven nieces and nephews. Cute dollar store tins



(Ignore sleeping cats in the background. They were not nearly as productive today as their mama)

Were filled with fun items (like stickers, bubbles, a skull ring, a clown nose, a mini flashlight, a finger puppet, Playdough, and candy)



A warning sticker was placed on the lid



'Cause these little guys will be popping out!



The cans instantly reminded me of the gag gift that contains a snake that pops out of the can when opened. I couldn't quite figure out how to make the snakes, and I was (I'm sure) overly concerned that my makeshift version would result in blindness to my little darlings if used improperly.

So, I opted for a little Styrofoam ball mounted on a coiled pipe cleaner. I painted the balls and added googly eyes and other features. The bottom of the coil is taped to the Playdough container, which ended up in a good position in the can to allow these little guys to pop up to deliver a little bit of fun, but *hopefully* avoid injury.

Please steal this idea!

13 comments:

Blue Yonder said...

This is really an adorable idea! What lucky little boys and girls, to have such a fun aunt!

Barbara said...

These are to cute and creative!! Thanks for sharing I am definitely going to use up this idea ;)

http://flickr.com/photos/craftsty/

Jenn Maruska said...

What a great idea! Very clever - and I'm sure they'll LOVE them : )

Junie Moon said...

What clever and wonderful gifts! I love things like this.

amandajean said...

that is a super duper cute idea! how fun.

Claire said...

Aaaack! SO CUTE!

Jenmomof4 said...

Those are so cute!! I love making happies!!

I am working on our Boo Baskets right now for our neighbors and friends!!

Mouse said...

Cute idea! I really need to get to a dollar store for some of those skull tins for my kitchen.

leslie said...

how cool jen! love it! maybe i can do something like this for our halloween camp fire meeting. lets get together sometime soon, i miss ya!

maybe we can plan a weekend get away to the cabin and kidnap banaberry kelli?

eviedee said...

SO darling! I love how each of their faces is just different enough to give them individual personality. You are so clever!

Rebecca said...

I love them! You should seriously have a book about favors. You have the BEST ideas!

Julie K in Taiwan said...

Those pop up pipe cleaners are positively perfect!

John said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.