Pages

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Raw

It is my belief that everybody has at least one beautiful picture of themselves. I don't mean the one from a dance or your wedding that involved hours of prep work to put every hair in place and has you perfectly posed and smiling brightly.

No.

Most likely, this picture was taken without your knowledge. You didn't have time to put on your "picture taking face." The shutter clicks at the exact right moment. The camera reveals something in your eyes that reflects your soul.
It is the you that others see. It is the picture your children find someday and prompt them to say that they have the most beautiful mom in the whole entire world.*

Here is mine



Taken by BT for a photography class c. 2001 using an OM1 (one of our prized possessions that we do not use nearly enough) using black in white film. He was taking contrast pictures in the living room of his parents' house, but I did not realize that he had turned the camera on me (and Chuy).

This is the real me. Pensive. Lost in my thoughts. Always a little sad. I slouch. My face is shiny. And I never ever have perfectly styled hair (even on my wedding day, it turned out).

I'd love to see you at your most beautiful!

*P.S. It may not be a picture that you feel like you are your most beautiful, but others insist that you are to them. My mom's beautiful picture - a newlywed, looking out at the Pacific with wind-blown hair, her eyes revealing how homesick she was for her parents back in Iowa, is one of her least favorites. But it is the photo of her that my Dad and I treasure most.


14 comments:

telfair said...

That is a beautiful picture.

I'll have to dig mine up and try to scan it, to show.

Megan said...

Yes, that really is a beautiful one.

If I've had a nice one taken of me, I've yet to see it...

Melissa Anne said...

Beautiful. My picture is actually a shot of me looking at my wedding photos for the first time on a laptop...he got the picture so perfectly.

woof nanny said...

Oh my gosh. What an incredible post this is. Gosh, I don't really know which photo of me would be here. Hmmm...I will have to think about this. Fantastic pic of you though.

Junie Moon said...

What a great photo! I hate having my picture made. My husband says the problem is that I worry over it too much which makes the picture awkward but if I just relax, then it works. I don't know if that's true but I'll try to relax next time a camera turns towards me instead of my instinctive need to flee.

Anne said...

What a lovely photo. I'm not sure if I have a photo like this, I will have to look.

elizabeth said...

*gorgeous* photo!
i'll have to see if i have one of myself....i'm usually the gal behind the camera :)

kate1976 said...

I love this photograph. I am the least photogenic person on EARTH. Except on my wedding day, thank goodness, when the picture turned out pretty good - I will post one of many favourite pictures soon.

eviedee said...

This is how you always look when we meet somewhere and I see you before you see me. I always worry that you look sad.
The only time that I ever take a decent picture is if Micah has his arm around me. His presence seems to distract me enough so that I relax and forget to look awkward. :)

Rebecca said...

It's glorious. :) I'll find one, too. I know I have one of my Mom. :) Thank you for sharing.

African Kelli said...

Wow! Wonderful photo!

Emy said...

That is a pretty one!

This is mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34521307@N00/333013860/

tricia said...

What a lovely picture....I hope you have it in a frame.

Scarlet Tanager said...

So beautiful.

I'm sure I don't have anything good that's not at least a little posed. Anytime I don't know the camera is pointed at me, I have my eyes closed and my mouth wide open.