Pages

Friday, July 06, 2007

Friend Maker Brownies

It's been a little lonely over here at The Felt Mouse. I know - it's summer, and you are all out eating popsicles on the front porch, or reading a good book whilst wiggling your toes in the sand at the beach. And I also know friendship is a two-way street. You need to give a little to get a little. I miss you guys!



Along those lines, I am sharing my super-secret brownie recipe (hereafter known as The Friend Maker Brownies). Bring them to the next gathering where you don't know too many folks, and you will be deemed the belle of the ball. Or, share some with your old pals and they will fall in love with you all over again. Be warned - once you bring them to one gathering, you will be requested to make them over and over again!



This recipe has a mix as a base. I would suggest getting the mix recommended (Betty Crocker fudge brownie mix). Skeptics among you will note the opportunity to add quality ingredients (the parts that count taste-wise) to make one tasty brownie.



Friend Maker Brownies

Ingredients:

~ 1 19.8 ounce package Betty Crocker fudge brownie mix
~ 1/2 cup melted butter (I use Plugra)
~ 2 large eggs
~ 1/4 cup coffee liquor or Irish cream (or a combination of the two)
~ 9 ounces good quality chocolate, like Valrhona, chopped (I like to use a combination of flavors, like bittersweet dark and milk chocolate. This adds to the complexity of the finished product.)
~ 1 cup toasted pecans

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 9X9X2 inch metal pan. Place brownie mix in bowl. Add butter, eggs, and liquor, and stir (by hand) until blended. Stir in chopped chocolate and nuts. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake for 35-38 minutes (you can't use the toothpick method here because the chocolate chunks will be melty. Remember: nobody likes burnt chocolate!) Cool brownies in pan on rack. Cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar. Prepare to be worshiped. Makes 16 brownies.

* I am of the school that most excellent baked good recipes start with a mix. Betty Crocker's minions bake and re-bake their mixes, making small modifications to make the ultimate cake mix. I don't think the ingredient list on the box looks scary - seems like what I would use if I were making brownies or a cake from scratch. Frosting - now that's a different story.

I've just found over the years that my best attempts at making baked goods from scratch do not taste as good as those made from a mix that is modified to make it even more special. Just my two cents.

15 comments:

June said...

Thank you so much for the brownie recipe--my husband's favorite treat! I've just returned this afternoon from vacation and have so much to read on the blogs that I think it will take the whole weekend to catch up and plot my new to-do list. Making brownies with your recipe goes to the head of the list.

Cindy said...

Those look so yummy! I agree about mixes. I posted about making double chocolate cookies (I used them for ice cream sandwiches) that start with a cake mix, they are better than anything I have been able to make from scratch and sometimes you just need easy! I will be trying those brownies soon! Thanks for sharing!!
Cindy
www.skiptomylou.wordpress.com

tamy said...

mmmmm...comfort food - yummy

Christy said...

Those look yummy! I would love to do some baking, but it is just too darn hot here. I will save your recipe (and Cindy's for the double choc. cookies) and try them out when it's cooler. Thanks for sharing!

Jenn Maruska said...

Those look fantastic - I'll have to try them! Thanks for sharing your Friend Maker (and Friend Keeper) brownie recipe : )

Ali said...

We could be really really good friends! Thanks for sharing. It IS quiet and lonely in blogland at the mo isn't it.

Heidi said...

Wow. That really does sound good. I'll try them next weekend.

Cici said...

mnnn, yum. thanks for sharing. and i whole heartedly agree about cake mixes and brownie mixes. and about the frosting. homemade frosting or bust.

woof nanny said...

Hi Jen! I've been here--I always try to keep up-to-date. Where do you get Valrhona? I always hear about it, but I've never seen it. I know Cost Plus has some specialty chocolates. I wonder if I could add these goodies to a scratch recipe? I already have a bottle of Baileys...
Thanks for sharing it.

woof nanny said...

Oh, and you'd like MY scratch recipes. I rock. Just sayin'. :)
I am a baking snob--best ingredients and always from scratch. But I am very very good at it.

jungle dream pagoda said...

Sounds delish,I am actually tryingto be good with calories right now though or...
My hubs just bought and fixed a new modem for the computer last night! I simply have not been able to stay on-line for more than 5-7 minutes without dropping a connection,frustrating!

Emy said...

Mmmmmm!
Brownies are actually really easy from scratch! And so versatile! Yours look yummy though. Wonder if I can have kahlua if its cooked? Hmmmm.

leslie said...

i can say first hand these are amazing!!! i ate two and could have eaten a whole lot more!

African Kelli said...

drooling over my keyboard. truly!

Heidi said...

I finally made these and they were awesome. Truly the hit of the party. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I think it's going to get used a lot in this house.