Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Food * Drunk * Friends

Last night, the Hot Dish family and the Felt Mouse family got together for a progressive dinner date. Evie and I scoured resources like Yelp for weeks to try and find *the best* restaurants in our local area for appetizers, a side dish, main course, and dessert.

We all prepared differently for our evening of gluttony. Some of us tried to minimize our food intake for the day to allow for a hearty appetite for our four-course meal. At least one of us, however, ate half a carton of Ben & Jerry's ice cream earlier in the day with the belief that if you were going to have a pig out day, you might as well go all out. No matter what we did, I think all of us ended up wrecked in the end. The progressive dinner is not for those with a weak stomach. Or those with heart problems.

Our fist stop was Kernels for gourmet corn on the cob.



You can see the menu on their website, and some of the flavor choices are pretty imaginative. You can get your corn steamed, grilled, and yes, fried. Evie and BT had theirs fried, and it was quite good. Who knew? I stuck with grilled



Kernels gets a big thumbs up! Note our happy countenances at the beginning of the evening.



We didn't know what we were in for.

On to appetizers at Alondra Hot Wings.



BT is a wing fanatic, and we were all excited to go here after hearing about the proliferation of fried foods, including cheese balls, zucchini, ranch-infused french fries, Twinkies, and snicker filled dough balls.



(can you feel your arteries clogging?)

Even trying just a little bit of each thing made for a very filling experience. This probably would have been the point to call it a night, but we still had our main course and dessert to go!

Next stop - Henry Moffett's Old Fashioned Chicken Pies



Any place with a giant chicken on the roof has to be good, right? I wasn't able to get a good pic of my chicken pie, as I had succumbed to some kind of food-induced intoxication at this point. All of us were laughing uncontrollably about silly things like having a TV show about ultimate biscuit making, how to spell the word biscuit, and how many times we had managed to say the word biscuit in a 2 minute span of time. I'm honestly surprised that we didn't get kicked out. We promised our sweet waitress we would come back sometime when we didn't sound like a pack of hyenas, and had more of an appetite. Here is a pic of me and Evie feeling the effects of our big idea



Our final course was cupcakes from the Frosted Cupcakery



I was the only one foolhardy enough to eat an entire cupcake. But, I'm happy to say I made it all the way through the menu and without induced vomiting. It was a very fun evening, but I know we will be visiting these establishments individually as part of future dinner dates.

11 comments:

Megan said...

You're a hero, Jen.

shanna said...

oh my! i'd be on my face, comatose, by the end of the evening...but it looks like fun!

woof nanny said...

What an incredibly fun idea. I've heard of progressive parties with neighbors (especially in culdesacs (can that be one word?), but never just for date night. You may be on to something! Hmmm...
I see a book entry maybe...

I love roadside architecture--I will HAVE to see that chicken one day.

Karen said...

yum yum yum oooh yum. I love corn on the cob (or mielies if you are South African like me) and cupcakes are the best.

Shannon said...

I'm going to try the wing place this week. My hubby loves his wings! :) Thanks for sharing they all sound great!

eviedee said...

I am SO happy that you thought to bring your camera. Thanks for an awesomely fun and filling evening!

Rebecca said...

What a fun night! I mean despite the atery clogging and all. The whole conversationa about biscuits made me nostalgic for my friends. Not that we talk about biscuits but we can certainly sit around and have a conversation for hours about the most mundane things and think it's the funniest thing ever. :)

Jenn Maruska said...

What a fun post!
I would love to do that!

: )

(P.S. I've tagged you to share your "To-Do" list! You can see mine over on my blog.)

telfair said...

That corn looked amazing.

I was *born* for a food progressive!

leslie said...

first off, i neeeeeed to check out kernels (sounds like a cool veggie place) and second...sounds like you guys had a blast! i know my husband would have loved this, maybe we can join you next time? (if you ever feel the need to try this again!!) i hope to meet evie someday!

jungle dream pagoda said...

How Fun!!!! Actually the only thinh I would have eaten was the grilled corn a nd cupcake,but ranch infused fries!!!!???! I would have had to have tried them,yum!