Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Targeted Shopper

Did anybody else receive one of these?



It's the scariest damn piece of mail I have received in my life. I've heard of targeted advertising, but this is just beyond. Take a gander at all the things I buy on a regular basis*. These are not things somebody wants me to buy (a different brand, and new variety). These are the same exact items I consistently buy on a regular basis. Even Sour Patch Kids.

Introducing Target's new marketing plan: a)Encourage customers to come buy the things they always buy; b)Make it convenient for customers (scan a card instead of clipping coupons); c)Cross fingers and hope you don't scare the sh*t out of customers by letting them know Target knows exactly what they are buying. There's a 1-800 number just in case you want to call and tell a machine you're not quite ready to wear the mark of the beast.

Ok - I'm not that scared. I still love Target to pieces. In fact -- I have been toying with the idea of starting a group Target blog now that Slave to Target has gone under. I'm looking for 9 or so *shopping buddies* that would be willing to write a little bit now and then on a Blogger platform blog - things you found at Target in the store or online, Target in your home, product reviews, special designer reviews, Target "hacks" or projects completed with stuff from Target, etc. I would looking to launch this at the end of July when the Target that is 5 minutes from my house reopens, and I am able to re-establish my 3-5 visits/ week, as I had become accustomed to (versus the once a week trip I have been resorted to now - sniff).

This endeavor is NOT sponsored by Target. It is to show appreciation for a store that continually re-invents itself and remains on "target" (pardon the pun) with current tastes and fashion. A lot of people like Target (of course, some people hate it - btw, there's always room for somebody who wants to write about the store's efforts, weak and strong, to be environmentally friendly...?), but I think to be part of this project you'd have to looooooovvvvvveeee Target. If you received the Clipless Coupon shown above, that's a good start. If you know what's in the See. Spot. Save. section right now, or what's new and exciting in the stationery department (like the recipe cards? hmmm?), or were anxiously awaiting to see what colors and theme would be used for the summer items (and can't wait until everything goes on clearance around the 4th of July), then you are a good candidate :)

Email me ~ thefeltmouseATgmailDOTcom, or leave a comment (with your email address) if you are interested!!

*Sorry for the sticker - private stuff. No, it's
not maxi pads. I'm not ashamed to tell the world I use Always Ultra-Thin Super with Flexi-wings. Purchased at Target, naturally.

17 comments:

Hagit said...

Unfortunately, I won't be able to be your shopping buddy because I don't live in the States. Howver, I read about Target so much and there's even a Flickr group dedicated to it, that naturally, I had to visit when I was in NY in January. And it's not easy to find target there, but I went to one single target - 3 times. probably the only tourist who did that...:-))) scrapbooking section, naturally. Oh, and the dollar bins were GREAT, too!

LeeAnn said...

Here's a good bloggy question/quiz- What would your Target Coupon say about you? My premarriage list would have different items than my married list. I like Target a lot. Unfortunately, until my employment (er, rather unemployment) status changes I have to keep my tush out of said store. Bummer. I really love checking out their dollar bins. They have very cute items in there at times.

Jenn Maruska said...

What a funny post! I admit - I got one of those scan things in the mail. But I get stuff from them every once in awhile - so I didn't realize that they customized the items!!! That's kind of freaky. And yet convenient. Oh, I'm so torn : |

I would love to join your target group - but I usually spend the month making a long list and adding to it as I use things up. Then I make one big super trip and lug it all home.

: ) Jenn

laura said...

I didn't get one...and I'm probably the best Target shopper in Indianapolis. Disappointing :( I would looooove to blog for you!

Mom said...

I think that's pretty neat acutally! I love Target but only get there once a month or so.

Heidi said...

I work with marketers and it's scary what they know about you. I assume you have a Target credit card? Is that how they know all this? My favorite thing to do is to try to fool the marketers. Like me grocery card has all kinds of outdated demographic info on me, and I like that it's screwing up their data.

I don't have time to write for a Target blog, but I would definitely read one, although I, too, have made an effort to try to stay out of that store.

Stephanie said...

I would be interested in writing for a blog about Target. I don't know if I do enough shopping there but we are getting a new LEED Target in town sometime soon. Until the new store opens up I only visit on Saturdays.

Jennifer said...

I forgot to mention (thanks for reminding me, Heidi) - I do not have a Target credit card, but I do use my debit card there.

Rebecca said...

Hmmmm . . . yes I do love the Target . . . I only get to go about once a week, would I qualify for the group? :) Around Christmas I am a Target mad woman.

woof nanny said...

Target has come a long way, that's for sure. They have really turned their image around. I just never think to go there. I avoid almost all stores, actually. I buy almost everything online now, except food. There used to be a Target conveniently by my house, but they moved 'up' in the world to the mall. So I avoid it now. The older I get, the more I dislike malls. But when I have ventured in, I've found surprisingly cute clothes. Given an opportunity to be able to blog though, I may have to start shopping there :)

SpAzzGiRL said...

I would love to get involved with a Tar-jay blog, I am a slave to them and have one within 2 miles at all times so how can I not pop in for something every couple days.
Even sicker...I know the complete layout of 5 different stores and feel if I don't visit twice a week I might miss something.
Wish Target loved me enough to send me personalized coupons!

jek-a-go-go said...

oooh...i'll blog with you if ya like! i tried to stay away but i use target as the only other store i go to so that eases my conscious a wee bit...i have however not been o nthe recieivng end of a coupon like that and I'm thee almost every weeek...hmmm.

jungle dream pagoda said...

I must say ,I am tempted to join this bloggy/target endeavor,but I have made a point to STOP going to Target ,because I never seem to get out of there for less than 50 bux!!!

Jane said...

I would love to join you in a Target obsession site! I am there about once a week- for no reason really!

susan said...

well that is creepy! i wonder why i didnt get one?? i have already been there the last 4 days in a row.and now i have to go back tomorrow because i WAS going to check out the stationary section for recipe cards, but didnt think they would have any! i need some. i want to put all my recipes on cute little cards. you did say they were cute, right? i got some adorable vinyl tablecloths today that i think i want to use to make some waterproof bags. i would love to do your target blog, especially with all the adorable summer stuff they are coming out with now!

Yajaira said...

I didn't receive one and I'm at Target at least twice a week (and that's because it's 20 minutes away from my house). I wonder if they'd give me coupons for scrapbooking since that's usually what I buy LOL. And diapers and baby clothes!

kristen said...

The only downside to the clipless coupons is that they are a little snarky about what qualifies as a valid purchase.

Case in point, the picture shows a 6+ pack of charmin ultra soft, and says "$1 off a 6+ pack of charmin toilet paper." I got an 8-pack of the new aloe kind, most definitely not a pack of charmin ultra soft, and got the discount.

Another picture is of a multi-pack of kleenex tissues, and the coupon says, "$.50 off kleenex tissues, no trial-size or pocket-packs." I purchased a regular box of 120-count kleenex tissues, and was not given the discount. This happened with several other items.

At customer service, I was told that it had to be exactly what was the picture showed, and that the single box of tissue was not what was shown. When I raised the subject of the differing charmin toilet papers, she didn't have an answer.

Yes, I did save like $6 bucks overall, but got stiffed for like $2.