Pages

Friday, May 18, 2007

Secret, smecret

Yesterday was a little bit of a test to see if my swap partner reads my blog as well as looks at my pics through Flickr. As it appears that we are "just Flickr friends," I'll go ahead and share the rest of her package now.

The theme, as mentioned, was travel inspired. Specifically, pretend that we each went on a trip to the other's place of residence (Long Beach, CA; São Paulo, Brazil). What items would help the other one feel like she had been on a trip to Long Beach/
São Paulo without leaving home? I think I got the better end of the deal. Brazil - hello! Beats boring old Long Beach any day.

In addition to the purse



I also made a postcard of Long Beach's landmark, the Queen Mary



Yes, another Adorn idea. Not the Queen Mary specifically, of course.

Also from the magazine - a couple of luggage tags



They probably would not be durable enough to really use as luggage tags, but I hope my partner can find a use for them. Maybe add them to a craft bag.

I included pics of some of our favorite southern California locations (Catalina Island, Olvera Street, Disneyland, the Carlsbad Flower Fields, etc.), and a cd of songs about L.A./California



Please note this was not my ultimate L.A. mix I am trying to put together. This cd* had to be catered a little bit towards somebody from a different country, so it did not include songs like Frank Zappa's Valley Girl (too esoteric), Frank Black's Los Angeles (too hard), or Arlo Guthrie's Coming into Los Angeles (drug references are usually no-nos when sending a package to somebody you don't know very well. Plus the fact that I am probably one of the few people under the age of 50 who even knows this song.)

I also included little "shopping bags" filled with goodies from the Souvenir Shop, Snack Shop, Toy Shop, and the Craft Shop



The contents are pretty much what you would expect (American candy, Hot Wheel cars for her boys, etc.). The souvenirs are kind of lame - I had really hoped to find a cool snow globe, but the ones I found were ugly, yet still over-priced. I did snap a pic of the contents of the craft shop bag



Lots of fun colors. I think she will like that. In all, this was a very fun package to put together. I always feel a little stumped at the beginning of a swap. This one had me stumped longer than most. Seeing the article in Adorn magazine about travel themed crafts really kicked me in gear, and I'm very happy with how things turned out. I hope my swap partner likes it as well!

* Fabi's L.A./Cali Mix:

1. Beach Boys – California Dreamin’
2. The Ramones – California Sun
3. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – Free Fallin’
4. The Pretenders – Hollywood Perfume
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Californication
6. World Party – Hollywood (one of my favorite songs of all-time!)
7. Bob Segar – Hollywood Nights
8. Led Zepplin – Going to California
9. Eagles – Hotel California
10. Los Lonely Boys – Hollywood
11. America - Ventura Highway
12. Everclear – Santa Monica
13. The Mamas & The Papas – California Dreamin’
14. Sheryl Crow – All I Want to Do

15 comments:

African Kelli said...

Um, this is the most thoughtful thing I've ever seen. WOW! Lucky recipient. The bag is just fantastic.

June said...

Your swap package is awesome and full of really fun items. I love the purse with the vintage CA travel fabric.

A&P said...

Good tunes - you could send in your request, see what the robot comes up with. :)
http://www.tinymixtapes.com/-Mix-Tapes-

Jennifer said...

That is great, I'd love it and I live very close. BUT Brazil!!! You are a very lucky girl. I hope you share that package.

Heidi said...

What a cute package! I love that bag, and I love the little tin where you wound up the rainbows of ribbons. Cute!

Heidi said...

Great mix of music. Anything Tom Petty reminds me of LA. (I used to live in Pasadena.)

Jane said...

The bag is awesome and so is the LA mix. I am currently loving my Los Lonley Boys CD to bits and hoping that the Spanish rubs off on me! I went out looking for good dish towels for the purse project today and only found an awesome pot holder. I guess it's not likely that will be a challenge any time soon. ;)

Cindy said...

WOW I wish I was your swap partner!

telfair said...

Love the idea of a mix tape and the purse is just amazing. I SO think you should be in business, can't wait til you start selling some of your stuff!

leslie said...

um, brazil vs long beach? not too difficult a choice to make! ha ha!

Renee said...

Your package is great, what wonderful and thoughtful ideas you had. Your partner is going to love it. Plus the purse is so amazing!

s'mee said...

this makes me happy! the only thinkg i would have added was "i love l.a." by randy newman.

"rollin' down, imperial highway...big nasty red head by my side...."

yup. I looooove l.a.!

jungle dream pagoda said...

What a great swap partner you are,and hey,World Party,sings one of my all time fave songs,Ship of Fools!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, great choice of music. California Dreamin' (Mamas & Papas version), Hotel California and Free Fallin' are three of my favourite songs of all time. Lou Reed's Perfect Day always reminds me of California as I heard it playing in a shop when I was in San Francisco many many years ago, and it was just so apt - it really was a perfect day. Love the California tote too.

woof nanny said...

I need to learn how to do those mix CDs. Such a perfect swap item. You could always cover the tags with clear contact paper or vinyl to strengthen them. Or laminate. Great items. I love the postcard.