Pages

Friday, May 04, 2007

Refashionista

Well - I knew the day would come. I just didn't know it would come like this. I have been put on a budget. No - not by BT, but by the federal government. It turns out that even if you have the max taken out of your paycheck each month, if you don't own a home and don't have kids, the government wants even more money on top of that from you. After ranting and raving about it, we figured out the message: the feds don't want you running around with gobs of cash at any given time, burning a hole in your pocket. You should be investing it, in kids, a house, or other acceptable means. Which we now are (starting with the latter). Thank you Mr. Tax Man - we got the message.



Here I am left with a limited amount to spend each week on groceries, the essentials, and fun stuff. I doubt I will be going on a clothes shopping spree any time soon. The only solution is to use what I have and make it into something new. The top above is actually new, but I had some issues with how it fit in the arms, so I hadn't worn it yet (it goes with the shoes, btw). The jacket is pretty old, and hasn't been worn in quite some time.

Here is what I ended up with


(Sorry - last minute pic)



The restricting sleeves on the shirt were loosened to accommodate my German milkmaid arms. The jacket sleeves were cropped, buttons changed out, and the jacket was dyed (Rit dye - black and navy blue together). I used the existing jacket cuff to make the new one. And thank goodness for hem tape. I think tomorrow I will write a hem tape haiku...

But now it's off to spend an evening with Martini Kings and burlesque dancers! Who-hoo!

P.S. Stop by and send some well wishes to Telfair, who was in a terrible car accident. She is thankfully for the most part ok, but gosh - seeing the car look like that makes you shudder...

6 comments:

eviedee said...

You looked even cuter in person! ;) Love the redo!

Emy said...

Another coincidence? I plan on mixing black and blue rit dye as well! I want to make a nice slate blue. It's the only colors offered here. :D
Great job! I love re-fashioning things. I have a huge pile of stuff waiting to be summer-ized and cute-ified. Hit the thrift store and just look for pretty fabrics.

** Terramia ** said...

Cute!!

elizabeth said...

ka-yute!!!

i wish i could do this.

jungle dream pagoda said...

love it!empire waistlines are my fave!

Rebecca said...

Oh you look lovely! I need to budget myself. Which is totally no fun. Might be a fun challenge to do a whole "use what you have" crafting month? Be it refashioning clothes, making things for your home or just using up all those odds and ends you have in your panrty. (or is it just me that has misc. cans of BEANS for no reason?)