Pages

Friday, May 11, 2007

Pink Cookies

Made for my book group members for tonight's meeting.



This month was my choice (Bee Season, by Myla Goldberg). I like to bring a little something along when I lead the group.



Here is the recipe for soft sugar cookies that I use. I don't know if these taste like the pink cookies, but they are pretty darn good. The bags and tissue paper are from Target, and I am a hang tag making machine with this gadget. Really, I think you could do without the crimper and just bang the blank metal rims down with a mini hammer, but I'm all about the gadgets. The benefit of making your own hang tags in addition to choosing the paper to use is that you can print on the insert. Despite having this option, you can see I went with stickers, which are already coming off (doh!)

Our book group has been together almost 5 years. Wow. We've read a lot of good books during that time. I just recently put together a list, but it would be kind of overwhelming to put it here. Instead I'll just give you a list of the books I have chosen during that time:

~ A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith
~ Housekeeping, by Marilynne Robinson
~ The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood
~ Lives of Girls and Women, by Alive Munro
~ The God of Small Things, by Arundhati Roy
~ Bee Season, by Myla Goldberg

P.S. In other food news, I've been snacking all day on guac made from the Trader Joes' guacamole kit. I don't know if they did it based soley on taste or just to save room, but the kit included a shallot instead of an onion. All I can say is yum!! I don't think I would make guacamole any other way from now on!

10 comments:

Jenn Maruska said...

I love The Handmaid's Tale - I think it's my favorite of all her books.

Those cookies look so yummy!

Have a great weekend -

Jenn : )

Cindy said...

Those cookies look delicious! Do you use the lemon or vanilla flavoring?
You packaged the cookies so beautifully----such a gift you have! I think I would love one of those gadgets and love to be in your book club!

leslie said...

i didnt know you were in a book club, love the lists! i will have to check these out! i would love the full complete list, dont leave anything out. :)

Hagit said...

I'm always so envious of your book club tales! It's funny, I have the tag maker too, and I expected it to be a little smarter than that, too. It never ceases to amaze me how the SB industry will have a silly tool for *everything*! Did you see that there's a ribbon iron? :-) Apart from that, I read Betti Smith at 18 and loved it, and I read The God of Small things a few years ago, and it's one of my most loved books!

Julie K in Taiwan said...

mmm yummy cookies! I'm so envious of your book club ;)

Jennifer said...

If you all lived locally, we would start our own book group!!

Cindy ~ I used the double dose of vanilla. Something I thought of later was to use another spice besides nutmeg to make these seem less Christmas-y. Maybe ginger, or cardamom.

June said...

I love your book list. The Handmaid's Tale is one of the books I used for my master's thesis.

ramona said...

must have that tool! What a lovely idea to bring such wonderful presents for your book group. And the list of books sounds interesting, too. I've only read 'the god of small things' from this list.

melissa said...

my book club has read some of those books too, but i don't think i've read the alice munro one - i'll have to check it out! and btw...you are way nicer to your book club than i am. homemade cookie goody bags? nice!

Rebecca said...

I wish I was in a book club! I loved the Handmaids Tale, too. :)

I've been curious about the MM tag maker, sounds like you're giving it a good review! Now why didn't I read this BEFORE I said I wasn't buying any more craft supplies for awhile?? Maybe Luis will buy it for me after lots and lots of hints. Your tags and bags are so cute!