Pages

Monday, May 07, 2007

The *Official* Dessert of Spring

After receiving the Williams Sonoma catalog this weekend, I was very excited to see a recipe for a Cherry Clafoutis (note: not to be confused with the clapotis). It was very very yum, so I am now deeming the Cherry Clafoutis the *Official* Dessert of Spring!



Though I did purchase some cherries recently from the Farmer's Market, I made the clafoutis using frozen dark sweet cherries from Trader Joe's. I thought the flavor would be better than the Bing cherries, and it saved me from pitting them (the recipe actually recommends leaving the pits in - but I'm not sure if guests or small children would accept your explanation that this is how they do it in Provence). I appreciated that the catalog displayed all of the products needed to make this dessert on the same page. I did not have the "recommended" prep tools on hand, but here - I'll give WS some product placement anyway



I know it is verboten to copy recipes from another source, but I really need to give you some key notes to complete this recipe. Please don't be mad, WS - I'm like you number one customer (when I can afford to be)!

Cherry Clafoutis (from Williams Sonoma Kitchen)

Ingredients

4 eggs, separated
2/3 cup sugar
6 Tbs. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 lb. fresh cherries, pitted, or 1 1/4 lb. frozen cherries, thawed and drained
1/2 tsp. lemon zest

Directions

Preheat an oven to 375ºF. Butter a large rectangular baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks and 1/3 cup of the sugar. Using a handheld mixer, beat on medium-high speed until ribbons form, about 8 minutes. To do this step, beat egg yolks on high speed for 3 minutes. Then add sugar gradually and beat for 5 more minutes until light yellow ribbons appear.* Add the flour, vanilla and cream. Add vanilla to egg mixture. Sift in flour and then add cream. Reduce the speed to low and beat until completely blended, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl (don't scrape too much at the egg yolks that have gotten "gummy" on the edge of your batter).

In a small bowl, using a handheld whisk, beat the egg whites and salt for about 30 seconds. Add the whites to the batter and beat with the mixer on low speed until incorporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Preheat the prepared baking dish in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes. In a bowl, stir together the cherries, the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and the lemon zest. Remove the pan from the oven, pour in the cherries and top with the batter. Bake until the clafoutis is set in the middle, 30 to 35 minutes. Serves 6 to 8.

*Now, I must admit, I didn't actually see the ribbons. I wanted to see them really badly, and figured this post would be useless without showing you a picture of them. I know this would be even better if I had achieved ribbonhood. Just have faith, and the ribbons will appear. As with religion, this is one of those desserts that is awesome if you do everything exactly right, but it is still pretty darn good if you give it your best try. Let me know how yours turns out, and if you see ribbons.

5 comments:

telfair said...

This sounds really yummy -- thanks for sharing the recipe. Just so you know, you're one of the few bloggers I know who can actually post food pictures (or work-in-progress recipe pictures) and actually have them look delectable and as good as the pictures in food magazines. Rare gift, that...

Karen in Wichita said...

Verboten? Good grief, no. Descriptions of a process are not copyrightable (that's the business of patents)... only if there's substantial "literary expression" in the directions are those parts protected, and even then you're quite allowed to rephrase the instructional part (doctrine of merger). Otherwise there wouldn't be all that fuss about chefs spying on each other... they'd just publish and copyright their recipes.

Miss Bliss said...

yummmmmmmmmmmm!!!! I'm starving up here in NY, it appears that all of the good eats are in CA!

Rebecca said...

YUM this sounds so yummy. And I too, want to see the ribbons. I'll give it a go this weekend. The hubby loves cherries. (and all things comtaining heavy cream coincidentily)

chest of drawers said...

There is a cherry farm here in our valley where people can go and pick the cherries themselves and I kid you not, they are the size of small apricots! I can´t wait to try this recipe after we go picking this suumer.