Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2007

My Paper Cranes

Any free moment this week, I've been making paper cranes. I hadn't really done origami in the past. I first had to find a set of instructions that made sense to me. The schematic version definitely didn't cut it. This is where I landed. It breaks the pieces down into the components that are the base for all different origami shapes. For a crane, a square base leads to a bird base leads to the crane.



I hate to get all philosophical on you, but I found it very therapeutic to make the cranes. Each one came easier and easier, and looked better than its predecessor. After a few, I was able to look away from the instructions and make them from memory.



I am glad to now know at least one origami shape in the event that a nephew needs to be entertained. Did you know - It turns out that there is a legend that says that anyone who folds one thousand paper cranes will have their heart's desire come true. This story behind the legend is damn near heartbreaking.



This vertical garland of paper cranes was supposed to be a 1st anniversary (paper) gift for a friend, but I've since decided to keep it for myself. I enjoying watching the cranes spin to and fro



10 comments:

Emy said...

We learned how to make them in 4th grade. I still remember. Some men came and told us the story and then taught us how to make them. They're probably the only origami I can make as well. Do cootie catchers count? I tried naughty origami once. No luck there.

Miss Bliss said...

I have always been fascinated by the art of paper folding, and it is truly and art. I don't blame you one bit for keeping them, it sounds like they mean so much more to you than bits of folded paper...

Greta said...

oh how fabulous is that? I couldn't fold paper to save my soul...heck...i scrapbook and can't cut a straight line ...so go figure...my cranes would look like lord only knows what...

Rebecca said...

I love making paper cranes! I haven't done it in forever. Your garland is lovely. I've been wanting to make some to decorate the feather tree I recently received. :)

woof nanny said...

love love love hese! So tranquil.

laura said...

i was at a design open house last year and the designer had made a fantastic "chandelier" of cranes. It was so gorgeous!!
(I didn't get great pictures, but you get the idea: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/77/233332502_b0b8fac087.jpg)

Heather said...

Very pretty.

June said...

Origami is such a really beautiful art. I love your cranes.

telfair said...

So beautiful! Actually GB is a big fan of origami and we have several kits, books, paper, etc. in the house. Once he made a light string for his mom using white Christmas lights and origami paper boxes -- it's quite lovely. And the first year we were together, his Christmas present to me was a set of origami cranes as tree ornaments.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. I did origami when I was a kid, but have not for some time. I just used the link to create my own. Thanks!