Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Lots of love...

I am at my parents' house this weekend. Visiting them now is like going to a spa - no chores, delicious meals, a relaxing pool - they even have a spa tub. Ahhh....

Being here by myself (BT is at "The River" with the guys) makes me feel much younger than my 32 years. I still am, and always will be, my parents' little girl. So, along those lines, I decided to pull out some old friends!



Meet Georgeanne Elly, Ilona Leana, and Bailey Terry. As previously mentioned, I am an only child. I'd like to say I wasn't spoiled...but I was. When most people were lucky to receive one Cabbage Patch Kid that first Christmas when they were really popular, I received four. We had friends and relatives all over the country fighting the crowds to get little Jenny her dollies.

In addition to the dolls themselves, I had a seamstress who was more than happy to make a wonderful, complete wardrobe for my little babies. My Grandma made dozens of outfits for them


These clothes are sooooo cute! Of all the stuff I am trying to clear out from my parents' house (since they saved everything from my youth, it seems), the doll clothes are definitely keepers.



This is a little lined fur coat and muff. My Grandpa made the little ice skates. He also made roller skates for the dolls, but I think unfortunately I gave most of them away to friends. Oh - and he also fashioned all the little hangers for the clothes.

Georgeanne (she was my favorite) and I had matching pjs



My Grandma thought of everything



I really don't know how she had the patience to work on things this tiny - But I love her for it! My Mom often mentioned how proud my Grandma would have been of me if she were alive today too see all my craftiness and read my blog (my Mom says the crafting gene must have skipped a generation). I hope there is some way Grandma knows now how much I appreciate her influence, and that her craftiness is worthy of something called a "blog."

8 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

4?? Holy smokes. I can't remember if I actually scored on that Christmas or not, but I had plenty of them in the years to come.

Hagit said...

Oh wow! I used to love them so much! My parents traveled to Hong Kong, and they got me a "rice paddy baby" instead! She came with a passport, and was so beautiful, and I wrote letters to the company making them, and the manufacturer sent me clothes for her. Wow, I must go over to my parents' and take pics of her too. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Amy said...

That is so precious. Your grandma was a special lady and you're lucky to have had her. I hope my daughter inherits my crafty sensibilities or at least has a desire to express herself creatively in some way. I'll just die if it skips a generation.
Making doll clothes for her Bitty Baby is on my 2007 Craftolutions list. Better get going soon!

Jenn Maruska said...

Wow!!! What a wardrobe your dolls had. The little ice skates are just adorable! Lucky girl.

I think that your Grandma lives on in your creativity. It honors her : )

Have a great weekend!

shanna said...

i had one just like the cutie in the center! after i got her i wanted to see what was inside her so i cut her toes off! she came with little booties so i was able to cover up what i had done until my mom found out!

woof nanny said...

Wow. Did you ever do crafty stuff with your grandma?

tamy said...

lady...
i dont know what you do for your day job, but your blog is responsible for me seriously feeding my kids cereal for breakfast...
your stuff, inspiration and creativity is fabulous!!

Natasha said...

I still have my cabbage patch too, but never did she have a wardrobe that rivals my own...HEHE What a great grandma!!