Pages

Monday, May 21, 2007

Diva! Gifts

This past weekend was our "make-up Mother's Day" with my mother-in-law. Having the extra time allowed me to take an ordinary gift and Diva-fy! it


(My MIL's first name starts with "M" - just in case you were wondering. Though "mom" or "mother-in-law" also work)

The file organizer tote came from Michaels (they've been on sale for $10 lately). The organizer part is not the most durable and/or functional thing in the world, but I knew the style of the tote was perfect for my MIL. The main issue is that the file dividers did not really lend themselves to adding labels. My solution ~



I cut half circles of cardstock and glued them back to back over the place where you would pull the dividers apart (if that makes any sense at all). Basically, before there was an indentation, and now there is a tab. I labeled the sections by month, and added a whole bunch of pretty ribbons and trims to the handle.

Since I was at Michaels, I had to stock up on more Martha Stewart craft items. The square fabric covered shadow box seemed like a good size for a collage project (not too big for a newbie like me). Evie and I agree that the addition of "specimen pins" in the shadow box makes the shadow boxes more desirable. Though, as Christine points out, the pins are too long to fit in the box with the lid closed! What's up with that, Mar?



I had a few bits of (imitation) opera/theater related ephemera, and used a kid sized glove for the focal point. My MIL seemed to really like everything! My own mom is probably a tad bit jealous reading this, as her gift this year was not homemade. But -- as she was going on a cruise for Mother's Day, I figured there was really nothing I could make that could compare. I sent her some bon voyage goodies, and hid my jealousy that she was heading off to have a fabulous time without me!

8 comments:

Stefani said...

So fun! LOVE LOVE LOVE the file folder bag thingy! And I'm not even going to talk about the bitterness I feel over the fact that MY mom is on a trip to San Simeon! :-)

Sarah and Jack said...

I love the gussied up file box.

I got a Shabby Chic collage box from Target for Mother's Day, but I was admiring the Martha ones yesterday. Perhaps I should actually get to putting something in the one I have? LOL They do seem intimidating when empty.

Rebecca said...

our imagination never ceases to amaze me! You give the best gifts. I can't believe I'm so lucky to be swapping with you. :)

Loved your travel swap goodies, too!!

Rebecca said...

Um that was supposed to say YOUR imagination. ha ha

deb said...

I am so inspired by your blog!! Lucky lady! :)

telfair said...

Note to Self: Do not ever let my own mother-in-law see The Felt Mouse's blog, otherwise she shall feel utterly gypped in the daughter-in-law department and wish that Jennifer could by some means become part of her family...

eviedee said...

Shame on Ms. Stewart!! I will buy with caution from now on. Your MIL is a lucky lady to be given such loveliness!

Andy said...

Love the shadow box. I just got back from Paris, and I think I might put together a little box with our tickets from the Opera. Thanks for the beautiful idea. I'm kicking myself for passing up a box full of vintage gloves at a tag sale a few weekends back. What was I thinking?