Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Art Tins (take and make!)

Somebody emailed me over the weekend to ask if they could *have permission* to make an art supply tin like this. Of course - I replied! I am hardly the originator of the art supplies in a tin idea! Heck - I think I even saw somebody fit a watercolor kit in an Altoids tin - now that's impressive.



Here are a few more tins I made recently. I found the mother lode of the *perfect sized* art supplies at a Japanese dollar store. I'm sure they are not the best quality supplies in the world, but they will do just fine for a picnic art study



Is this not the sweetest set of mini pastels you have ever seen in your life?



I heart them to pieces.

The tins are the often mentioned gift card tins from Michaels (size: 5" x 3 1/4"). I always have - oh - 10 or so of these babies around at any given time, and am always looking for a new use for 'em (see recipe card holders 1, 2). They are very fun to embellish!

The only "tutorial" aspect involves how to make the holes for the binder clips holding the paper. I just used a hammer and nail on top of a copy of our local entertainment guide, the L.A. Weekly. Then I put brads through from the top of the lid, which are used to hold the binder clips, which in turn hold paper cut to fit in the lid of the tin



When using the kit, the brads can be turned around to come up from underneath the lid and attached to the binder clips to make a holder for the paper on a hard surface



You can include any tools that fit with that medium (and fit inside the tin). For the pastel kit, I included tortillions, a kneaded eraser, and sanding paper. For the watercolor kit - a small brush fit inside the tin, and a small palette and soy sauce bottle full of water would easily fit in a Ziploc bag



All of the art kits should probably be secured with rubber bands and transported in a plastic baggie. These would be perfect for making ATCs, or give with a set of little frames to encourage a friend to try her hand at creating mini masterpieces.

Hmmm...I think I will do that...Leave a comment for a chance to win a watercolor art tin!!

12 comments:

woof nanny said...

Wow, how cool is this? Interesting. I have the MOO flickr cards for my business cards, and they fit perfectly in the Altoids gum tins. So I've been trying to figure out how to embellish one. This is interesting. What a great gift idea too (stocking stuffer). I mean, the possibilities are endless for what could go inside. Sewing kit, first aid kit, etc. Hmmm...
In the book Metal Craft Discovery Workshop (I think that's the name) they go over how you can sand and paint these and stuff. I really need to play around with this idea.

Heidi said...

Adorable tins! I assume the ones from Michael's are not decorated on the outside? I love your little additions of ribbon, etc.

Kathy said...

I love the art tins.

crazycatladymel said...

You answered my question (were those silver dots embellishments or brads?) before I asked it! They all turned out so adorable!!

leslie said...

as always, a cool idea to use at a camp fire meeting. i think i will make a few to take to the park while the girls play this summer...i can paint the trees! thanks jen. oh, i just ordered the book you guys are reading...snowflower and something so i think i am going to join up! i will keep ypu posted. hope i can read fast!

Mom said...

Those are so cool! Just one question...where on Earth do you find a Japanese dollar store?

Mama said...

Oh, I love these... Very, very cool.

Catrina said...

The watercolor art tins are too cute!

Rebecca said...

These are wonderful! I drooled over the last one you made, too. You inspired me to make a picnic basket set for my best friends upcoming birthday. I think maybe she need an art kit to go with it. :)

Jennifer said...

You've really done wonders with these; thank you for sharing such precise instructions. Now I just need a "Japanese dollar store" to open somewhere in New England!

avid crafter said...

I absolutely LOVE your decorations, those bees are so cute! I've been reading your blog for a while and really like your ideas.

Jenmomof4 said...

I just love it!! I bought one of the tins to use for Marble Magnets to give as gifts. I love the art supplies and how you decorated them. I just found your blog and I have enjoyed reading it. Jennifer