Pages

Friday, April 27, 2007

Rummaging

Back in December 05, I went to my first church rummage sale. I found a few things, and was eagerly anticipating that the same church would hold the sale annually. Well, no sale this past December, but this week they posted the sign that a rummage sale would be held April 26-28. I visited yesterday during lunch, and found a few treasures



Two BH&G sewing books for 50 cents each



A cute rooster cutting board to display in my kitchen for 5 cents



Some Halloween colored pompoms for 10 cents which I strung last night into garlands (I have a million WIPs, but stringing pompoms seemed to be about the right amount of exertion for a Thursday night)



Pink and aqua ornaments for my December display. Three boxes for 15 cents + 25 cents + 30 cents (I am always thinking ahead on these displays - not usually this far ahead - but I did know I wanted to do a Christmas display this year in these popular colors)

and - the pièce de résistance
- the always tempting 75 cents for "all" tin



It was not a gold mine. There were a few beautiful buttons, some bakelite, and lots of practical buttons that still were a little cool because the holes are different from modern buttons, nice colors, etc. Oh, and lots and lots of grandma hair....le ew.

I have to tell you something. Thrifting is a relatively new activity for me. I grew up in sterile suburbia in a brand new cookie cutter house, and everything we bought was new.
Our furniture all matched, and our kitchen appliances were all the same brand and color. We donated to Goodwill, and hosted yard sales, but we did not in turn shop at these sources. This is the way we liked it, thank you very much.

So, learning how to go through thrift stores/yard sales/rummage sales to find things that meet my style and/or function needs is a *new skill* for me. I am still turned off by overly used items. Even if they are a good brand or would be appealing if not flawed, if they are scratched, dented, ripped, or missing pieces, I leave them be. I am coming to terms with linens. I won't add to the weird list by telling you how many times the napkins will need to be washed before using...

Finding grandma hair in a tin full of buttons would have normally prompted me to throw the whole thing away (there was a lot of hair). But, I persevered and sifted through to find what I wanted, and put the reclaimed buttons in another tin purchased at the sale for 15 cents



I de-haired the rest as much as I could without causing gag induced vomiting, and will send the original tin and its remaining contents off to thrift. I am slowly learning how to be less wasteful.

To close - this sale touts itself as "the only place in town to get your own God Rock." For 30 cents, even a heathen like me could not resist



Yea God!

10 comments:

shanna said...

ooh! what great finds! you need to go thrifting with me! i too was the "i've never set foot in a goodwill" type until i met the hubby (who oddly enough was like me), then we started going on thrifting adventures to find our vintage goods and now i'm hooked!

telfair said...

You know, I wasn't a big thrifter either, until I married GB, who is passionately fond of estate sales and goes constantly. Now I'm hooked but still not to the extent that he is. You could say he leads by example.

Similarly, Heathen Me thought the God Rock was pretty funny.

kat said...

oh you really made me laugh with your post because I totally relate.

I truly appreciate antiques {my house is almost 300 years old}, but old used stuff like furniture + appliance... no thank you. I like going to estate sales + such... but overall, I like my purchases to be new :) And I don't think there is anything wrong with that!

Heidi said...

We all have our thrift limits! Me, I can't do shoes or underwear or baby equipment (too much likelihood the item has been urped or pooped on). A good hot soak in the washer and a spray bottle of Lysol can do wonders for most things, though! I have found that my limits have stretched over time, as I got more comfortable with the whole thrifting thing.

Those ornaments are fab! They will be so pretty in your display!

shizzknits said...

I grew up just like you, but have learned to appreciate 'gently used' items. Especially once we had kids and realized how quickly little outgrow things. Now I don't mind a few dents and scuffs, as long as it's not totally destroyed.

My problem is that all the thrift stores around here are crap. No fun fabrics/sheets/linens. Clothes are all pretty plain and often overpriced. Ceramics are ugly instead of 'mod'.

I guess I'll have to hit a real flea market once of these days.

Sarah and Jack said...

What an interesting post. I grew up with rummagers, trash pickers, and thrifters, so I never think twice about buying (most) things second hand. (Like Heidi, we never buy shoes or underwear that way!) In fact, I think maybe less than 25% of the things we are own were bought new.

Like someone else said, though, having a kid really kicked it up a notch. We could never afford to give Jack the stuff he has if we had to go to the "store" to buy it all. I bought a $90 trike for him this week that looks nearly new for $6. Without Goodwill he would have just had to go without. :-)

Your "new" ornaments are beautiful, btw!

jungle dream pagoda said...

"Granma hair" EEEEEEYEEEEW !!!! You make me laugh outloud so hard sometimes!!!! I am lovin' your goodies!! Go Jennifer ,for succumbing to the lure of the thrift!!

eviedee said...

Grandma hair?! Poor you! We all have our limits. Great finds! :)

elizabeth said...

love the finds....i woulda been gagging through the whole grandma hair, but woulda been happy none the less.

oldround said...

I have that same cutting board! Think it was my mom's. Randomly thought, just the other day, "I wonder if anyone else has one of those." Ta Da.