Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Revealed

It is only because I hold Amanda in such high regard, and only since she recently posted a picture of her carefree embroidery basket that I decided to share a pic of mine



The term "basket" is applied loosely, as you can see my embroidery supplies were stored in a crumpled up old shopping bag. You can also see at some point I tried to organize my floss with the little plastic bobbins you can find at any craft store. I thought it would be "fun" to sort through the mass of floss and reclaim individual colors. Yeah - That chore lost its thrill years ago.

Since I am trying to get all of my craft supplies in some semblance of order, I came up with this solution for my embroidery floss



I bought a ton of little wooden spools, and all new floss. The basket is pretty tiny - maybe 6 inches square - so very compact, and much less embarrassing to store next to the couch than a brown paper bag. I spent a couple of nights in front of the TV winding the spools and labeling them. I figure if I end up getting a different shade of essentially the same color, I can sand off the number and re-write it. I bought a DMC pack of "popular colors" to avoid trying to pick out the *basics* from the hundreds of floss colors available. I also bought a package of linen floss



So yummy...

For my first project employing my neat and tidy embroidery basket, I replicated a design from this book



I tried to find out a little more about the author to share. According to the book introduction, Julienne Hallen owned a New York boutique in the 40s and made ceramics, toleware, and leatherwork signed "Julienne." An Ebay search didn't turn up anything other than another book she authored. Please let me know if you have any more info about this artist - I really dig her style!

The book focuses on folk art designs to paint or stencil. I adapted a design for a quick embroidery project



I'll probably be on a little embroidery kick for awhile - bear with me!

11 comments:

leslie said...

lovely!

Abby said...

I'm proud that you can that you can do it. Sometimes I can stitch an outline, but even then my stitches aren't that great.

Emy said...

Cute idea! I love those folk images too. They remind me of the dresses from mexico that my mom used to wear.

Tracy said...

what a fantastic book.
Tracy x

Sarah and Jack said...

Hmmm, I have been looking for a way to clean up my floss also (since Jack loves to wad it all up!). AND, I just happen to have bought a gazillion old wooden spools at that convent sale....the wheels are turning now baby. LOL

Rebecca said...

I love embroidery, too. I sirted through my "basket" (which is an old train case that belonged to my Grandma) and tried to wind some cards of colors. I like your spool idea much better! How do you transfer your patterns?

Eren said...

Great idea! And I love the folk art book as well. Im sure it has some amazing images to use inside!

eviedee said...

Adorable! I am very impressed with your sewing skills AND your willingness to share photographic evidence that every inch of your home is not magazine perfect! I ALMOST posted a similar pic yesterday but I lost my nerve. :) Bravo!

Heidi said...

You've inspired me to post my embroidery floss organization too. I'll do it this weekend. That spool system is pretty impressive. And pretty too. I can't wait to see more embroidery. I've done a blittle bit lately too.

LeeAnn said...

Don't let anyone else tell you embroidery isn't cool! Stitch away!

amanda said...

hee hee. I love the peek into your embroidery basket. Ahem. ;)