Pages

Monday, April 09, 2007

Bless Chu

"Almighty Father, we bless these animals for all they have done in supplying our food, in carrying our burdens, providing us with clothing and companionship and tendering a service to the human race since the world began."

For many years now, I have wanted to take Chuy to the Olvera Street Blessing of the Animals



I usually forget to check the date, and end up missing it. This year, we made a point to mark the date on our calendar well in advance.

I think this was Chuy's first experience with a lot of people crowded into a small space - let alone tons of dogs that want to give him a sniff over.



But wait - it got worse



Hundreds of animal lovers and their pets attend this event. There were bunnies, turtles, hamsters,
iguanas, a few terrified cats, and lots of dogs. There were pretty dogs



Happy dogs



Studly dogs



and dogs (and owners) with good fashion sense



The blessing was overseen by Father Mahony, the Cardinal Archbishop of Los Angeles



Here is Chuy (and me, by default) getting blessed ~



Who in the world is this guy?



Wtf? This dude is flinging water at me! I hate water!!



Pshew - Glad that's over. I suddenly feel -- at peace.

This tradition is very much a part of the history of Los Angeles. Some may question the practice itself, or have ill feelings towards the officiant. I prefer to think in terms of how rare it is these days to have such a socioeconomically diverse group of people together in the middle of downtown Los Angeles who are all smiles, and enjoying the opportunity to share stories about how glad they are that Fido is part of their family.

8 comments:

Angela, Mother Crone said...

What a fabulous idea! I will have to see if we have something similar here. We do have a mutt parade each May that is always happy four-legged chaos. Chu was very stylish in his sombrero, BTW!

kat said...

Fantastic~
I would love it if we had a tradition like that here. I love my dogs~

Oh, loved the coach shoes + dog coat. Gosh... to be that coordinated!

Shannon said...

I've always wanted to do this too! But I have two cats and they aren't so keen on being outdoors and they do NOT play well with others! I love Chuy's little hat! :)

jungle dream pagoda said...

Chuy is adorable! My mother has THREEE chiahua-uas! ..and I grewup with a couple myself. This is a precious tradition.

Heidi said...

How cool. Most churches have their blessing of the animals in October (on the feast day of St. Francis of Assisi). How nice to have one in the spring, too.

Jane said...

I agree with you, just enjoy the tradition and the fun of it! If I had a dog, I would be there!

leslie said...

how funny! i love your wtf thrown in there while talking about blessings and such, ha ha! i wish olive and rudy could come live with chuy, sure he doesnt need company? cant say they are potty trained though, sorry bout that. they can really bum me out, but i love to walk them! :)

tracy said...

i ahve always wanted to do this too! must get the girls down there next year...