Pages

Friday, March 30, 2007

Or, Lobsters Work, Too

Thank you, all, for the nail brush recommendations. I should have mentioned the stores I had already visited and struck out. I had been to B&BW, but at Catrina's suggestion that there might be a nail brush, and a body brush with a ducky on it, I flew back over there and in one breath anxiously explained what I was looking for to the salesgirl who welcomed me to the store. She gave me a look of confusion, then pity (tsk - another crazy lady), and then politely explained that though that sounded like a really cute idea, they currently did not carry anything like that. Ah, well.



But, it turns out nail brushes shaped like lobsters* work well, too. Particularly as my gift is nautical themed (I told you I can't get enough!)



The modified onesies you got a glimpse of the other day. The idea is from a Japanese craft book, and involves cutting a place in the side seams and in the front to insert the ribbon so it looks like it came that way.



I am going to be using transferred images for some of the craft items I am making to sell, and I thought these two boxes would be a good first experiment. The paper makes a rub-on image using a regular printer. The paper is very very expensive ($20 for 10 sheets), so not something you want to make too many mistakes with. Luckily these came out the first try (my own drawings, btw). They are boxes for baby teeth and for baby's first haircut.



Finally, my triumph - my first "quilt!" Well, it has a pieced top, anyway, which was one of my main fears to get over to start quilting. The top is tied to the flannel back (i.e. not quilted - still have to get over that fear), and the edges are blanket stitched. I am pretty pleased with how everything lined up, and have new faith that some long forgotten quilt projects may be resurrected.



The gift is for a neighbor's baby. They are the most fantastic couple. They are a few years older than us, but
they just seem to have everything so much more together than us! Whenever we get invited over, we feel like kids that were allowed to sit at the grownup's table. Oh, and did I mention the woman designs fabric? Yeah - I'm a little jealous. But so very happy that there is a new baby on the block to fawn all over!

* Don't worry, Lobster Girl - I got one for you, too!

11 comments:

eviedee said...

What a perfectly thoughtful and beautiful package! I love your idea for the baby's first tooth and haircut, so cute! Way to "make it work!". :)

jungle dream pagoda said...

This is SOOO cute and such a wonderful package! The mom will love it!

Sarah and Jack said...

The gift looks so sweet. And about the quilting, if I can do it, you can do it. Trust me. LOL

jek-a-go-go said...

yeah, of course they work and of course i'm whimpering away for one! :) wow! wow! and that gift looks divine...so so so wonderful! you are awesome!

LeeAnn said...

I wish you were my neighbor! This looks awesome!

June said...

What wonderful details you've included in the entire gift package. I think the recipients will love this gift package and will truly appreciate all the thought and care you put into this. Congratulations on such a wonderful project!

Miss Bliss said...

Too cute, I love the onsies! Perfect nautical wear for the fashionable infant.

elizabeth said...

oh i love this package.

and you must tell me more about this paper that creates rubons. are they like the scrapbooking rubons?????

oh email me immediately, i must know b/c i was just thinking the other day how fabulous it would be to make my own rubons and here someone stole the idea right outta my brain and did it :)

Rebecca said...

What a perfect gift! It's like the gift you give the baby who likes to visit the Hamptons. I don't know, that's a New York brain for you. :) Love the transfer topped jars! Too cute!

Ali said...

What a gorgeous basket! And I love the hair/teeth boxes - too cute!

Melissa said...

I may never get through all 1500 items in bloglines that have piled up while I was away, but I'm reading certain blogs. Of course, this was one of the first. I know I'm replying to an older post, but I saw the lobster nail brush and just "squeed" and though, I have to find one for Jek. But you already have her covered.