Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

It's not you...

Sorry if this sounded like an ad to anybody. I only added a pic of the vacuum I bought to add visual interest. This is not an ad for a brand of vacuum, and no, I do not promote products for money. I am promoting a "technology," I guess, that like I say below is pretty much the norm now when you go buy a new vacuum. I am just trying to help anybody else out there that is stuck with a dinosaur of a vacuum and hates it as much as I hated mine. That is all. Just like I would tell you about a cute pair of shoes, or fun stationery, or any other thing I found out there that made my day a little bit brighter. I hope this doesn't turn into a forum where we can't share new and fun products we find for fear of being labelled as a sell out.

This time of year, people historically think about doing a big clean. Martha has given us some *helpful hints* in the April issue of MSL. Some suggestions include wiping down walls and the ceiling, polishing window hardware, and washing window screens. I don't know about you, but reading those three things alone makes me lose all motivation and hope that I will have have a clean abode.


(Not me, But hey - cute apron!)

But, I will do what I can. That's all we can do. My message tonight, though, is to start even further back before you launch into the big clean, and assess your cleaning tools. Do you have the right tools to get the job done? Case in point: I have been battling a crappy vacuum for 4 years now, and battled with another crappy vacuum before that. In turn I've said that I "hate" vacuuming, and would generally put this chore off longer than was acceptable.

Tonight I entered the 21st century and bought a bagless vacuum.

No, it did not cost $400 - my little orange dream machine was only $100. Here's the thing for anyone else out there that battles with an old crap vacuum - they are all bagless now! Well, nearly all of them are. There were newer models and more expensive models, but this one seemed just fine for the price. And it is - actually - better than fine! It is lightweight, powerful, has an upholstery tool that works (brilliant!), has not one but two filters, and has a long cord that allows it to almost stretch through the whole house without changing outlets (hey, it's better than what I had, so no complaints). The compartment where all the yuck collects is easy to remove and clean. Oh, and the house doesn't smell like a locker room afterwards like it did after using the old bag version. Old bag...hehe.

The first go around was damn near frightening. I joke about living in filth, but honestly it may very well have been true. I looked at scorn at the old vacuum sitting by the door as I breezed around with her new more modern counterpart (I tend to personify inanimate objects). There's a new vacuum in town that doesn't suck, I said. Well, she does suck, like she is supposed to, but she's not sucky, as in unpleasant, like you were. I think she looked rather deflated after that...haha.

Anyway, which chore do you absolutely hate? Are you sure you're using the best tools to get the job done? That's all I'm saying. I'm off now to see what fun my new vacuum and I can stir up under the bed.

16 comments:

Heidi said...

I personally hate my vacuum. But ever since I read about how some bloggers are paid to praise products, I wonder if that's the case whenever someone does (like this).

Heidi said...

If you want to get well and truly frightened, vacuum your mattress! We did when we got our Dyson and although our mattress was fewer than 2 years old, the results were horrifying. I swear we aren't dirty people but it was scary.

Me? I hate bathrooms. Yuck.

Jennifer said...

It's not the brand, it's the technology (bagless) I'm praising. I guess this does sound kind of like an ad, but I assure you that it is just my attempt at humor.

I guess we can go around worrying that any time someone is excited about a new thing they find and want to share, it is an ad. I believe it is a courtesy to readers to put a disclaimer on one's site that the writer is paid to promote products. You will note no such disclaimers on my site, nor will you ever find them.

Barb said...

I know you Jen, and I know you don't post for profit. But even if you did, um, so what? I openly link to Amazon on my book blog--does it really matter? I use them, most people use them...no one is hurt in the posting of the blog. On my craft blog, I link to products all the time, and I do mean all the time, and it's strictly because I like it or it's fun or inspiring. That's kind of what blogging is all about, isn't it? Spam blogs are really obvious in their abuse--but dropping a product name here and there should be no big deal. Shoot, I WANT to hear about good products.

Shannon said...

I agree! I want to hear about good products! I have "discovered" many great things thanks to fellow bloggers. And it has saved me a lot of time and HASSELS. :)
I just bought a new bagless too the only thing I don't like is the color... BRIGHT, VIBRANT YELLOW...blech! But they had no other colors in stock (now they have pink,green and blue!)

Miss Bliss said...

I agree whole heartedly... the first time I vacuumed with the new vac, also a bag less, I was grossed out and thrilled, I had no idea how much crap was in the carpet, or just how bad our old vac was. After the second time around the house I was beginning to loose the thrill of the clean. And after the third time I just had to make myself stop I could feel the obsession with how much I could find and rid my house of growing...

And by the way I am insanely envious of Martha's laundry room... and her linen closets, which are entire rooms... dare to dream!

OldRound said...

Vacuuming is my favorite cleaning activity. I am a devoted bag user though. Can't stand bagless. Had my fill emptying dustbusters in the past. YUCK.

Kate1976 said...

What a shame that you feel you had to make it clear that you weren't advertising... even without your additional note at the top, there is no way I would have assumed that you were posting for profit (and if you *were* advertising for me, I would be narked you didn't even mention my brand name!!!!)... anyhoo dont be shy to say you like stuff. I do it all the time. As for housework, I hate washing the floors the most. I have every mop, wipe system and sponge thingy on the market. Turns out, I am just a lazy old bag, hee hee.

Beth said...

I hate vacuuming! Our two cats unleash enough fur to clog it every time. I also hate vacuuming because I have no good place to put the vacuum when I'm done -it has to sit in the spare room and I begrudge it the space.

in second place is hanging laundry. Doing laundry and folding laundry I have no problem with. Hanging? It sits in the basket a long time.

chest of drawers said...

I love vacuuming! We have an industrial vacuum cleaner which is in the cellar and there is a plug for the 7m long hose on each level of the house so I don´t have to tug a vacuum cleaner around with me, and it´s really quiet and only has to be emptied twice a year. Who pays bloggers to praise products that they use and love? Give them my number!

Megan said...

I hate ironing. I. Hate. Ironing. Hate, hate, hate.

But fortunately, I got myself the perfect handy little accessory to solve my problem. A husband who irons for me.

And he's not for sale.

eviedee said...

Thanks for posting about helpful (and cheap!) products. I really hate to vacuum this sounds like the kick in the pants I need to upgrade. I love the image of your poor rejected vacuum in the corner. :) You are so cute!

telfair said...

I love doing laundry. But I hate emptying the dishwasher.

How coincidental -- we just got a new vacuum too! We got a canister vac (not to blow our own horn, but we got the #1 canister vac listed in this month's Consumer Reports! On sale! Woo hoo!)

It's sort of sad that we get so excited about vacuums, isn't it?

I went around and vacuumed the whole house and felt equally scared by the results.

After Heidi's comment, I sort of want to vacuum my mattress. But I'm frightened...

jungle dream pagoda said...

I'm a laundry hater myself,funny thing about that is I get SOOOO angry if my hub trys to help with it. weet thought ,but we go round and round about it and it just messes with my whole laundry system,plus he can't pair the correct sox for the life of him!
I recieved something amazing and inspirational in the mail yesterday,thankyou ever so!

Heidi said...

I've apologized to jennifer, but now I'll apologize to all you commenters/readers too. I didn't mean to imply that Jennifer was paid to say nice things about this product.

I read an article about this blogging for money and learned that bloggers are supposed to identify their posts as ads, but that many don't. I'm not judging any blogger who chooses to get a little extra money this way, but I am increasingly concerned about the sneaky ways marketers try to get us (and younger and younger children) to buy stuff.

What I meant by my comment was that I was now nervous whenever I read a product endorsement, but I didnt' mean to imply that Jennifer herself was being sneaky at all. My sincere apologies.

Stephanie said...

I am interested to know what model you got. I'm lucky my husband does the vacuuming and with our recent switch to bagless, I think we're finding more cat hair/dirt than before. Also, just wanted to mention, I too give inantimate objects personalities and could easily see myself deflating the ego of my previous vacuum cleaner. I love that you included that tidbit. You've got a great blog and keep posting!