Pages

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Corners of My Home ~ The Bathroom Edition

Uh-oh. Now she's blogging the bathroom



Really - before you turn away in disgust, please understand that I am not just being my usual goofy self here. I have longed to share a corner of my home for some time now, but seem to have a lack of corners worth sharing. Most are either bereft of style, or are overflowing with craft supplies. Many many doors need to be closed when company comes to visit.



Anyway - the bathroom is now officially the only "complete" room in the house. It has all the tchotchkes it can feasibly hold without looking too cluttered and, in part due to its charming 1930s baby blue tiles, is color-coordinated and pulled together



The last component was creating a vignette on the cornice above the window. The painting is a vintage paint-by-number. The sponges in a jar idea I saw years ago in a decorating magazine. The rope was given to me when I mentioned to my boss that I needed a piece of weathered rope (that man knows where to find everything). And, the succulents are fake in case you were worried about their sunless location. I also used a shortened a shower curtain to replace the omnipresent mini blinds that came with our rental.



Just a couple more notes before you get back to looking at the pretty corners people have posted today. The large shells you see (framed - also some in a dish with a candle on the counter) were collected during a memorable trip to San Felipe (Baja California, Mexico) during college. My heart-shaped rock was found on Catalina Island shortly before I meant BT (awww). BT made all the ceramic containers we use to hold toothbrushes, cotton balls, etc. (double awww). And this is a project I completed soon after the 2004 Tsunami, using
shells salvaged from dollar store windchimes and a beachcombed branch



Most likely the branch travelled to our beach as a result of the storm. The beaches here were filled with debris for weeks. Mostly wood. And lots of shoes. Mostly rubber flip flops. That made me really sad - thinking about the havoc the storm caused, and that people were so caught off guard that their shoes were ripped right off their feet. I'm not claiming this to be some type of memorial, but its origins do make me stop and think at times about how life changes in an instant for those caught in a disaster.

Sorry for the downer - maybe I should have stuck to crude bathroom humor after all.

10 comments:

Patty said...

I love your bathroom! I really like the blue tile and the cornice is great. Thank you for sharing this little corner of your home. :)

OldRound said...

I didn't know you could have fake succulents! Cool.
The downer is okay. It is called 'giving witness' I think.

Sarah and Jack said...

Aye, that is awful about the flip flops.

I can only imagine the conversation with the boss that includes "I need a piece of weathered rope." LOL

Dee Light said...

Such a cute bathroom. Thanks for sharing. i think it is sometime more fun to decorate small spaces than the nig ones!!

jungle dream pagoda said...

Oh,those baby blue tiles !!!! So fabulouse,love the simple theme you went with too,I think simple is best for bathrooms.

Emy said...

I don't think any of my bathrooms are "finished". The downstairs guest bathroom is the worst too!
It seems very serene. I love the vintage paint by number!

telfair said...

I think your bathroom is really charming. Love the vignette above the window...that vintage paint by number is so cool!

eviedee said...

So pretty! I love the paint by number!

leslie said...

i have been lucky enough to USE your bathroom (remember lizzie attempted to use your toothbrush?) ha ha! i LOVE the ship painting, my favorite!

Barb said...

That's the second time you've posted a ship pic (the other was behind Pippi, remember?). Hmmm....
Um, is it just me, or is that rope rather phallic looking?