Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Chocolate Spuds

Doesn't sound like a great combo, does it?



In Southern California, the name people associate with the word "chocolate" is See's. Scanning the See's website and the list of store locations, it appears that they have spread all over the country. But, I believe the company's origins were in California.

I have a confession to make that may ruffle a few feathers: See's is not my favorite boutique chocolate. Of the varieties I have tried consumed in large quantities and feel assured in my opinion, my favorites are Betty Jane (thanks to Gramma and her annual Easter gift of a chocolate egg filled with - of course! more chocolate), then Ethel M, followed by Helen Grace (which truly is local), and finally...See's.



BUT - See's jumps up a few notches on the fabulous scale this time of year due to their very clever and not un-tasty chocolate potato! From the website:

The center is See's famous light and airy divinity, full of white chocolate and loads of California-grown walnuts. Hand shaped and enrobed in See's delicate milk chocolate, this spud is then rolled in a special blend of cinnamon and cocoa powder. Finally, for authenticity, the 'eyes' of the potato are applied using pine nuts.



Yes - it does look a little...turdy...on the outside. But I assure you that you will be the hit of the party if you bring these on Saturday to down with your green beer! Ew - Now that would be a gross combination.

No See's near you? Here's a recipe that may suffice.

6 comments:

eviedee said...

Hah! I was SO surprised by this offering from See's. I still can't decide if I think that it is really clever or really strange. Glad to hear that it is a tasty treat. :)

shanna said...

my grandmother-in-law always sends me a few of the assorted boxes for christmas...she thinks they're my fav because i commented on them one year...in all reality i just cut them into pieces so i can pick out the 2 or 3 i really like. they do have cute packaging though!

OldRound said...

Love it! I'd eat it in a heartbeat.
My fav botique chocolate is Jacques Torres. I've had See's and had to tell my sweet aunt to stop sending me a box every Xmas b/c I have no regulator. Back when we had a dish loved to watch J Torres with my girls. They went to NY with dad and went to his store/factory. Got their pic taken with him, Squeal!
But really my palate is not that advanced. Chocolate is choc to me.

Miss Bliss said...

I gotta tell ya, that just looks gross! Now since I trust your opinion I am going to have to try one at some point but I think I am going to have to work up to it!

elizabeth said...

i usually get see's once a year when an uncle living in cali sends a box to my mom's.

i think this concoction though looks kinda yummy!

jek-a-go-go said...

ooh! i love their divinity and must get tater now! See's is indeed local. The factory is in Los Angeles! yer cupcakes look great too!